Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Proud of Your Boy
By Lexi Cole Ellis

But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us, even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ - - by grace you have been saved...” Ephesians 2:4-6 (ESV)
 
I recently saw the Broadway show “Aladdin.” It had both songs I grew up singing, and a couple newer songs. One of the newer was in the first part of Act One. The spotlight hits perfectly, Aladdin is centerstage, belting:

Someday and soon
I'll make you proud of your boy
Though I can't make myself taller
Or smarter or handsome or wise

I'll do my best, what else can I do?
Since I wasn't born perfect like Dad or you
Mom, I will try to
Try hard to make you
Proud of your boy. 
[1]

I resonate with that feeling. Okay...maybe not the “boy” part, but others’ approval matters to me, especially by those I love. But then, it got me thinking: Is God - -  our Heavenly Father - - proud of us?

Theologically, I’m not sure. Scripture doesn’t use “pride” or “proud” as an emotion that God shows. Yes, there’s loads of Scripture affirming that He lavishly loves us, that He’s redeemed and is restoring us. But, interestingly, nothing about God being proud of us.

Proud, by definition, is “feeling deep pleasure...as a result of one’s own or another’s achievements...” [2] At the heart of the gospel, God isn’t proud of me because of what I accomplish...in fact, the gospel is about what I can’t  accomplish. It’s not about what we do and is all about what God had given to us. Maybe, deep down inside, we’re not craving for God to be proud of us in terms of what we do, but craving for His utter acceptance.

We serve a God who pursues a relationship with us...at great cost. And despite our sin, our shortcomings, our imperfection, He looks at us and says, “I accept you. I adopt you into my family when you accept my gift of salvation.” Not based on what we do or how good enough we are, but because of His great love for us. While “we were still sinners, Christ died for us.”

Aladdin wanted his parents to be proud of him. I’m thankful we serve a God who accepts us  - -  ragamuffins and all  - - and lavishes His love on us.  

GOING DEEPER:
1.      What are some examples where you have longed for someone to be proud of you?
2.      Where have there been examples of God’s love tangibly expressed in your life?
 
FURTHER READING:
 
Lexi and her husband, Andrew, have an adorable dog named Calvin and love to travel. Lexi teaches sixth grade Reading and Writing. She serves with Children’s Ministries and is the Fresh Start Coordinator.
 
[1] Listen to the song by clicking HERE. Lyrics taken from HERE