Monday, September 18, 2017

Successful Birding
By Lisa Boyer

“In every prayer for all of you, I always pray with joy, because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now.”

This summer, I took my photography hobby on the road. Instead of waiting for birds to show up at my house, I began going out and looking for them. And what, you might ask, would cause me to leave the comfort of my home and head out to the fields and waterways just to look for birds? 

That is an excellent question.  

I had joined a Wisconsin birding group on Facebook where people post bird sightings, including the name of the bird and where it was seen. Photos were optional, but most posts included photos. And I found myself wanting to go to those locations and photograph those birds myself!

One day, I went to a conservancy to look for a bird called a “dickcissel.” The conservancy is 105 acres, and I had no idea where to look. In fact, before I saw the posting, I’d never seen or heard of this bird before. I spotted a man with binoculars heading to his car and asked if he’d seen anything good. He said he’d seen several dickcissels and even pointed out one in the distance. Before he left, he taught me to recognize the bird’s call, so I could find them for myself. As it turns out, HE was the person posting about the dickcissel on Facebook! 

As I’ve thought about this encounter and my other successful birding experiences this summer, I can’t help but relate it to being in a community. I’ve heard over and over about the importance of being “in community” at church. But having always been part of a church community, I don’t think I truly understood the specific differences it can make in a person’s life.

Before my birding community, I was sitting at home photographing birds through my window. After joining my birding community, I was actively pursuing birds to photograph. I am now being inspired, providing inspiration, teaching, learning, encouraging and celebrating successes. These all happen when one is in a community. Yes, I am referencing the birding community, but how much more so does this happen in a Christian community? 

If the act of becoming involved in a birding community could make such a difference in my life in only one summer, imagine what a difference being part of a church community  could make in your entire life.

GOING DEEPER:
1.  Are you actively involved in your church community? If not, will you prayerfully consider how you should get involved?  
2.  If you live near Oakwood Church, would you consider becoming part of our Wednesday night community? For more information, please visit http://oakwoodnow.org/oakwood-church-ministry-blogs/wednesday-night-community-fall-2017/

FURTHER READING:


Lisa is married to Ted and they have two adult sons. Lisa serves on a Sunday morning Welcoming Team and is an event photographer at Oakwood.