Monday, December 28, 2009

Experiencing Toddler Love
By Pamela Blattner

“He executes justice for the fatherless and the widow, and loves the stranger or temporary resident and gives him food and clothing.”
Deuteronomy 10:18 (Amplified Bible)

My grandson, who’s two and a half, and I were on an excursion one day. I was craving Noodles & Company’s Mac-and-Cheese. I scanned the place and found a booth. Suddenly, Logan opened his mouth and “roared” to a man who was smiling at him. I looked around and saw an older man with baggy pants, zipper half shut, and hair uncombed and unwashed. He had a stubble beard and his nose was so varicose it looked like a road map. Even though he was across the room, I was sure he smelled. He was smiling and flapping his hands toward my grandson. Immediately my “grandma protection switch” went to “on”!

“Hi there, little man; what a cute kid. I see ya, son,” the man said. Logan was jumping in the booth, smiling and saying “hi.” Everyone in the restaurant noticed and looked at us…and then at the old man. Our Mac-and-Cheese came and the man continued to be a nuisance with Logan. “So…big! Peek-a-Boo! Hey look he’s smiling at me!” the man said. I told Logan to stop smiling at the man; to turn around and eat! I was embarrassed and thought to myself, “Nobody thinks you’re cute. Stop talking to my grandson.” I ate in silence, inhaling my food as fast as I could, but Logan did not! He didn’t eat a thing. As I snatched him up to leave, the man was standing between me and the door. I prayed, “Lord, just get me out of here.”

I was almost to the door when suddenly Logan propelled himself in the man’s direction. In the blink of an eye an old man and a toddler embarked on a “high five.” Logan leaned forward in total trust and love, pursed his lips as if he was extending a kiss toward the stranger and laid his head on his hand. The man’s eyes welled with tears, and he extended his aged hands and cradled Logan’s back. “Ma’am, you take real good care of him. Bless you. I just got my Christmas gift.” As he released Logan, his face showed deep pain. I felt it. I felt his soul. Holding Logan tightly, I cried and prayed, “Lord, please forgive me.”

God reminded me that day that if we’re going to enter the Kingdom of God, we have to come as children. I witnessed God’s love through my grandson. Logan didn’t judge his appearance, but in innocence, he saw the man’s soul first. That’s God-like love at its finest.

GOING DEEPER:
1. Do you find yourself judging others by outward appearances? Confess and allow the Lord to change your heart to match His.

FURTHER READING:
Luke 6:30-36; Romans 12:1-2, 13:8-16

Pam and her husband Richard have two adult children and two grandchildren. She serves Oakwood through its Family Care Ministries.