Monday, December 21, 2009

“Making a List, Checking It Twice”
By Jennie Pierce

“O God, you are my God, earnestly I seek you; my soul thirsts for you, my body longs for you.”
Psalm 63:1

Like the traditional Christmas jingle, I found myself doing just that: making my list and checking it twice. But this list wasn’t a log of the items to buy my loved ones; it was a log of what needed to be done today…my “to do” list. I knew my day was going to be packed, and I needed to streamline every waking minute.

Then, it dawned on me. Was “Quiet time with Jesus” on my list? Actually, it was! The truth is, however, that it was posted lower, almost as if to say, “I’ll get to that after I have done all these other things…if I have time.” I had already checked off several items on my list, but I was placing the accomplishment of other tasks before spending time with my Savior.

The Christmas season is so special, so beautiful, so . . . time-consuming. Unfortunately, there is an irony that exists. The very season that is intended to focus on and celebrate the Savior too often keeps us from doing just that!

So, this Christmas season, as you find yourself making your list, won’t you be sure to check it twice, to be sure that “Spending Time with Jesus” is at the very top? After all, He placed YOU at the top of His list when He came to earth as a baby, to eventually sacrifice His life on the cross for your salvation.

GOING DEEPER:
1. What is on your “to do” list in front of spending time with Jesus? Are you willing to re-design your list to put Jesus in His proper place? He longs to meet with you.

FURTHER READING:
Psalm 63; Deuteronomy 6:5

Jennie is a wife and mother of three. She is active in Oakwood’s musical worship ministry and works part-time for a chiropractor.