Friday, December 18, 2009

Old Age Isn’t for Sissies!
By Pamela Blattner

“Abraham did not weaken in faith when he considered the utter impotence of his own body…no unbelief or distrust made him waver concerning the promise of God, but he grew strong and was empowered by faith as he gave praise and glory to God.”
Romans 4:19-21 (Amplified)

My friend, Vi, lives on the lower level of her son’s house. Recently, my granddaughter and I went to visit and I found myself smiling before we even entered the living room. We stepped down the stairs and saw her napping in her recliner, the fireplace burning softly. I touched her gently on the shoulder and she awoke. She insisted we sit near her and doused both of us with hugs and kisses. Vi’s living quarters are spotless, despite the fact that her swollen legs make walking extremely difficult. Her advanced age and health limit her mobility, so much so she rarely goes out anymore. Every visit, whether with Izzy or a church friend, is a blessing and a glimpse into a world that is long gone.

Vi is the most optimistic person I know. She is also realistic and in constant discomfort. She knows that so many of her dreams are lost…she has outlived many friends, family members and her beloved husband, yet she is happy. She still has energy left for living. And, when I leave a visit with her, I’m more energized and a little happier myself. She is a link to a rich and beautiful past, deeply connected to the Christian community through her fervent prayers.

There are many of us who view our friendship with Vi as a precious gift and we treasure the warmth and love she showers upon us. Her life is a closed history book: joy and sadness, hope and loss…a testimony that where there is hope, there is life. During our visits, I look at the faces of all of her family whose photos surround her chair. I see the cards and letters on the table next to her that communicate the concerns and updates of those that are dear to her.

Vi’s life, devoted to Jesus, reflects a promise of the Lord in Isaiah: He is our eternal companion. Isaiah 46:4 (amplified) says, “Even to your old age, I am He, and even to hair white with age will I carry you. I have made and I will bear; yes, I will carry and save you.”

GOING DEEPER:
1. This a great time of year to remember our elderly relatives and friends. Who is God bringing to your mind today? How can you serve that person this week?

FURTHER READING:
Psalm 91:14-16, 92:14; Proverbs 10:27; 1 Corinthians 4:16

Pam and her husband Richard have two adult children and two grandchildren. She serves Oakwood through its Family Care Ministries.