Monday, December 14, 2009

Light of the World
By Susan Klein

“The true light that gives light to every man was coming into the world.”
John 1:9

Like many people, one of the things I enjoy most about Christmas is the dazzling display of lights we surround ourselves with! You can drive to almost any neighborhood in America and see homes and trees lit up in brilliant splendor. One of my favorite things to do at night is to turn off all the lights in the house—except for those on the Christmas tree. I could sit for hours just mesmerized by the tiny white lights sparkling off the ornaments and icicles!

I imagine a couple of thousand years ago, there were some brilliant lights to behold! Imagine a group of shepherds, watching over their flock late at night. The sky was flooded with the twinkling light of millions of stars against an ebony sky. One of them was especially bright that night, seeming to make the others dim in comparison. Then, out of the darkness of night came an even brighter light. One so brilliant that it terrified its onlookers! But the message that came out of that particular light was one of hope, for it spoke of a Savior being born nearby.

I love how God chose to send His Son into the world at night. He sent the light of the world in the midst of darkness, literally and figuratively. I wonder if, when the Shepherds reached the stable, they saw a light emanating from it. I do know that all who heard about this great light from the shepherds were amazed by it! Even Mary treasured up these things and pondered them in her heart.

God sent His Son, Jesus, to be the light of the world. Think on that for a moment. In Him there is no darkness at all! No wonder we are drawn to “the Light!” He keeps us from stumbling, He has great glory surrounding Him, He exposes the things hidden in darkness. And if we know Him as our Savior, His light is in us!

Light of the world You stepped down into darkness.
Opened my eyes, let me see. Beauty that made this heart adore You
Hope of a life spent with You. Here I am to worship,
here I am to bow down, here I am to say that You're my God.
You're altogether lovely, all together worthy, all together wonderful to me
(1)

GOING DEEPER:
1. Take a moment during the busy holidays to sit in a dark room with only the glow of your tree lights or a candle. Ponder, as Mary did, the words from this song and think about what that light means to you.

FURTHER READING:
John 8:12, 12:35-36

(1) Lyrics from “Light of the World”, Copyright © 2000-2007 Hughes, Tim CCLI 3266032

Susan is a wife and mother of two. She is the Coordinator of Oakwood’s Tuesday a.m. Bible Study and one of its teachers.