Friday, December 4, 2009

In the Driver’s Seat
By Jennifer Pierce

“Hold on to instruction, do not let it go; guard it well, for it is your life.”
Proverbs 4:13

Okay, I admit it: I’m tired of being a taxi mom! All the time spent (or wasted) in a vehicle on any given day…and the pay is lousy. So, when the prospect of having an upcoming teenaged driver came our way, I began to get really excited. For the first week, that is.

I’m sure the scenario in our family is no different from other families when there is a new teenaged driver. There seems to be a lot of tension (personally, I tend to claw my side of the door and try to firmly press down on a brake that isn’t even there). In addition to tension, there is yelling. “Slow down!” “Don’t take the corner so fast!” “Stop hugging the inside lane!” “Use your signals!”

Maybe it isn’t even the driving mistakes that make me so frustrated. After all, she is a novice. Mistakes are to be expected. It’s the response from her that gets me every time…a flippant “Yep!” or “I know!” seemingly without any remorse or change of habit. Doesn’t she realize I know what I am talking about? I’m not out to get her. I’m trying to help her from potentially hurting herself and others in her care.

That’s when it hit me: I am just like my daughter! I proceed to drive my “spiritual vehicle” of life as if I am invincible and beyond any need for instruction. Sometimes from the Lord directly, or through loving people in my life, God tries to intervene with a “Slow down!” or a “Yield on the yellow!” and I continue to furiously drive with a “Yep, I know!” attitude. I am not really listening or taking His counsel to heart. Do I realize that if I don’t gladly accept His instruction and implement it in my life, the inevitable result is a crash and burn? Receiving instruction makes us wise, helps guard our lives and gives clarity to life.

“He who has ears to hear, let him hear!”

GOING DEEPER:
1. In what areas of your life are you not receiving instruction well? Why not?
2. Do you realize that the choices you make always affect more than just yourself? What changes will you make today to embrace godly counsel and obey?

FURTHER READING:
Psalm 32:8; Proverbs 1:8, 8:33, 13:13

Jennie is a wife and mother of three. She is active in Oakwood’s musical worship ministry and works part-time for a chiropractor.