Monday, December 26, 2011

The Birthday Card
By Vernette Kureck 

“She will give birth to a son, and you are to give Him the name Jesus, because he will save his people from their sins.” 
Matthew 1:21 

I have to admit I’m one of those people who enjoys receiving Christmas cards. There are so many different kinds. Pictures portraying Mary and Joseph’s journey to Bethlehem, and cards with shepherds watching their sheep. Angels singing and proclaiming “Glory to God in the highest” over the manger where the infant Jesus lies. Ornate gold-embellished cards picturing the Wise Men as they travel from afar.  

A lot of people like to send cards with pictures of their families engaging in different activities, along with a letter highlighting the year’s events. Winter scenes with snowmen and jolly old St. Nicholas are also promoted. 

It is amazing how many of them proclaim “Peace on earth and goodwill toward men.” Warm wishes are often expressed for a holiday filled with joy, peace and love, and people’s hearts tend to turn toward home. This year, as I wrote out a few Christmas cards to people I won’t be seeing, it came to me that I first really needed to send out a birthday card.   

That birthday card reads: “I am thinking of You on Your human birthday. I celebrate all the good You have done  in my life and look forward to spending eternity with You.  Your sacrifice for me will not be forgotten nor taken for granted. Your love surrounds me, and You know all the love that surrounds You today as your birth is recognized.  May You be blessed in heaven and on earth. You no longer are the sweet baby boy wrapped in swaddling clothes, but You are my Redeemer and Lord; my Comforter, my special Friend. The wonders of Your love will always be amazing to me. Joyfully, I adore You. Happy Birthday, Jesus. 

Isaiah 9:6 says, “ For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders, and he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.” May He be all those things and more to you this Christmas Season.   

Going Deeper
1. Have you taken the time to acknowledge Jesus’ Birthday personally this week? 

Further Reading
Matthew 1:18-24 

Vernette and her husband Ken have been married 43 years. They have been blessed with seven grandchildren from their two sons and their wives. Vernette is Oakwood’s Financial Secretary.