Tuesday, December 13, 2011

The Ornament
By Becci Terrill

“Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.”
Hebrews 12:1-2

It wasn’t valuable. Not really. It had just been handed down from my grandmother to my mother, and then from my mother to me. Now it lay in two pieces on the floor.

During the holidays each year, my calendar is filled with the hustle and bustle of the season: shopping, decorating, baking, cleaning, programs and entertaining. Not to mention my work at church and a residential facility for adults with special needs. The goal is to make the holiday perfect for everyone.

This morning, in pursuit of holiday perfection, I saw an ornament hanging from one of my trees that wasn’t in the “perfect” spot. I leaned over the banister and lifted it off the tree…only to watch it slip from my hands and drop to the floor nine feet below.

I gently picked up the remains, and looked at the pieces in my hand. Memories flooded my mind. Not of perfect trees, gifts or parties, but of the people - - some now gone - - and Christmas memories the ornament represented. Then I was reminded of the real reason for all of the celebration.

Hebrews 12:1-2 refers to those who have gone before us, and the passage encourages us to throw off everything that would entangle us and keep us from “fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith.” As God, He endured leaving heaven and becoming human at Bethlehem, living as a man in the brokenness of this world, and dying on the Cross - - all so that we could spend eternity with Him.

A little glue repaired the ornament, and it hangs again on my tree. Far from “perfect,” the dried glue is a continual reminder that Jesus is the reason for all of the celebration. That I shouldn’t become entangled with all of the “stuff” in pursuit of perfection, whether for the holidays or my life. Jesus will accomplish His perfect will in and through me if I instead leave everything in His hands.

GOING DEEPER:
1. What are you being “entangled” with this holiday season? What will you choose to do with that?

FURTHER READING:
II Corinthians 7:1; II Corinthians 12:9-10

Becci is a wife and mom to two daughters. She is the Director of Ministry Partnerships at Shepherds Ministries in Union Grove and is the Special Events Coordinator for Oakwood's We Women Ministries.