Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Unexpected Blessings
By Becci Terrill 

And Mary said, I'm bursting with God-news;
      I'm dancing the song of my Savior God.
Luke 1:46 (The Message) 

December 21st…just four days until Christmas! At this time of year most people are running full speed to the mall, the grocery store, parties, programs, etc… and I am no exception. At the homeless shelter, we were getting ready for the biggest Christmas ever. 

God works every day, but this day was different. It seemed overflowing with unexpected blessings. 

The day began with Ashley, a college student who wanted to volunteer for Christmas. She Googled “Volunteer Opportunities” and got my name twice. Though she was certain she never sent an email she composed, I received it and responded with a “yes, we’d love to have your help.” Clearly, God wanted her to spend time with us at Christmas! 

Then Colleen walked into the workshop. Shouting a welcome from across the room, I prepared to set her up wrapping gifts. But God had a different plan. When Colleen saw all of the gifts and wrappers, she asked if there was anything we still needed. Without having a final count, I responded that 50 more gifts would be wonderful.  “How much would that be?”  Colleen asked.  At $10 each, that added up to $500!  I winced as I realized how much I had just asked for. Undaunted, Colleen took out her checkbook and asked, “Will $1000 cover it?” I didn’t know whether to cry, shout or dance! 

Shortly after, Sean came to help wrap gifts with coworkers. As he prepared to leave, he paused to say, “I’ll be out of town tomorrow. If you run short on anything, call. I can give you my credit card to cover it.” 

The unexpected blessings didn’t end there, as volunteers and I discovered toys that we needed, and a message from a neighbor at home with blankets for needy families. 

I was reminded of Mary’s song in Luke 1: “I’m bursting with God-news. I’m dancing the song of my Savior God.  I’m the most fortunate woman on earth!” 

I don’t imagine Mary expected an angel to show up that day. She didn’t expect to become pregnant by the Holy Spirit. Yet, she was bursting with God-news at the unexpected blessings God had brought into her life.   

In this season of miracles, my heart too, is bursting with the unexpected blessings from heaven. 

By the way… would the person who gave the doll with orange hair please come forward? She was a special answer to a little girl’s prayer! 

GOING DEEPER:
1. What unexpected blessings have you experienced this Christmas? 
2. What can you do to be ready to see God’s unexpected blessings in your life? 

Becci spent 15 Christmases at a shelter sharing the love of Jesus to homeless and needy families. A wife and mom to two daughters, she is currently the Director of Ministry Partnerships at Shepherds Ministries in Union Grove and is the Special Events Coordinator for Oakwood's We Women Ministries.