Monday, December 12, 2011

He Satisfies
By Peggy Kleckner

“The LORD will guide you always; He will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land and will strengthen your frame. You will be like a well-watered garden, like a spring whose waters never fail.”
Isaiah 58:11

I was reading a book the other day that asked its readers to think about what the theme of their lives were at present, and what it was in the past. The word that came to mind for my past was “abandoned.” It went on to ask about the antonyms and synonyms associated with that word. The synonyms listed for abandoned are: deserted, forsaken, desolate, irredeemable. I thought of its opposite as being “rescue.” Rescue has these synonyms: liberation, delivery, salvation (freedom), set free.

Deaths of people close to me, key people in my life who had moved away, divorce, loss of jobs, and other similar experiences all contributed to many moments in my life where I have had the “feeling” of abandonment. In turn, that “feeling” of being abandoned created a need in my life - - the need for rescue, the need for a rescuer. I tried to orchestrate my own rescue in many ways, such as being busy, going to school, exercising….trying, trying, trying. I wanted others to rescue me. I am sure my neediness wearied my husband and anyone else who came close enough to have a conversation with me. However, none of these satisfied the deep need in me, the hole left from the feeling of abandonment.

Thankfully, one day the mother of my son’s friend invited me to come to a Bible study at her then new-to-her church. I went, and came to find there my Rescuer, my Redeemer, Jesus Christ. Now, like so many others before me, I can say, “I once was lost, but now am found. I once was blind, but now I see. Amazing grace!”

In this season of Emmanuel (God with us), I just have to praise Him for allowing the feeling of abandonment to surface in my life. That feeling propelled me to seek Him from my sun-scorched place. It drew me to Him and put me in a position to accept His offer of rescue.

Now when the “feeling” of abandonment tries to overtake me I stand on His promise, “I will never leave you or forsake you” (Joshua 1:5). I am forever loved and He continues to satisfy me.

My theme is no longer “abandoned.” I am one of His redeemed!

GOING DEEPER:
1. What need is in your life at present and how are you trying to have it satisfied?
2. Are you trying to be a “Savior” to someone else and, in doing so, blocking them from finding the true Redeemer?

FURTHER READING:
Psalm 103:1-5; Psalm 107; Luke 15:14-27

Peggy is a wife and mother of four adult children - - two sons and two stepsons, and is an active encourager at Oakwood Church in Delafield. She serves as the Coordinator of Fresh Start.