Friday, February 22, 2013

Communication
By Becci Terrill

"Speak, for your servant is listening."
I Samuel 3:10b

Communication is something we all need and depend on, and it can be accomplished in a variety of ways. Most of us think immediately of speaking, but that is only one component of communication. Since I started working with people who have intellectual disabilities, I have learned a lot about communication from these newfound friends.

One of my friends uses sign language and a notepad to communicate; another friend patiently repeats himself so that I might understand; one man can neither hear nor speak, and yet, through lip-reading and signs, he seems to understand quite well when we “talk”; still another lady uses her own set of words to tell you something. Everyone likes to hug!

Recently, I was placed on vocal rest and ordered not to speak. I had to use other methods of communication if I wanted to “talk” with someone. This made me crazy! However, God, in His sovereignty, knew that I needed to be quiet and learn how to communicate effectively using other forms of communication.

I also became more keenly aware what life for some of my friends might be like. I knew what I wanted to say to someone, but to have them understand without using spoken words was, at times, difficult and frustrating. Technology was a big help to me.  My friends may not have the ability to use these communication tools, but that doesn’t stop them. They use other ways to communicate. I have never noticed frustration or impatience on their part when I have been unable to understand them. They are patient, loving and always willing to try again the next time. 

I’m sure there are many times God could be frustrated or impatient with me when I don’t understand what He is trying to communicate to me, but that is not His nature. He is long suffering, patient and loving - - and He keeps reaching out to me, hoping that I will be quiet long enough to listen. Sometimes, He communicates to me through Scripture, and other times I “hear” His voice in nature, art or music. Sometimes the action of another communicates His message to me.

Communication comes through a variety of forms. I am learning to be quiet, listen, watch and ask, so that I might truly hear and understand what He wants me to know.

GOING DEEPER:
1. What is God trying to communicate to you today? Take time to listen, and you will “hear” His voice. Keep a record of all the ways He communicates with you. It may surprise you.


Becci is a wife and mom to two daughters. She is the Director of Ministry Partnerships at Shepherds Ministries in Union Grove and is the Special Events Coordinator for Oakwood's We Women Ministries.