Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Free
By Lexi Ellis

With the arrival of Jesus, the Messiah, that fateful dilemma is resolved. Those who enter into Christ’s being-here-for-us no longer have to live under a continuous, low-lying black cloud. A new power is in operation. The Spirit of life in Christ, like a strong wind, has magnificently cleared the air, freeing you from a fated lifetime of brutal tyranny at the hands of sin and death.” 
Romans 8:1-2 (The Message)

I stared at my laptop’s blank screen. Writing a paper wasn’t usually difficult. I had to analyze a societal message and its effects in my life. Originally, I had a researched, beautiful outline in which I wrote of my struggles with having a healthy relationship with food. It was a comfortable vulnerability, un-messy. And yet, my professor wanted me to re-do it. After lots of tears, I was convicted I needed to address issues beyond my simplified outline. I had to ask questions with unknown answers…or ones I might not like.

So after processing and praying, I approached the blank screen and wrote how my food issues were a coping mechanism for a simple reality: I struggle with self-hatred. It takes work to overcome a flood of critical, self-deprecating thoughts. But even after I learned the tools to help manage this, I felt guilty. For some reason, the guilt from struggling with self-hatred was worse than acknowledging the “food stuff.” Here I was with this struggle that seemed so stupid. It was terrifying to realize that acknowledging it through writing would force me to address it.

Part of the enormous beauty of the Cross is that Christ conquered guilt and shame. Paul writes that in Christ “there is no more condemnation.” A synonym is criticism. There is now no more criticism. What Christ has done for us (and our acceptance of His gift along with an ongoing relationship with Him) means we are free.

How powerful that He freed us from the bondage of hell and the bondage of guilt!  In John Bunyan’s classic Pilgrim’s Progress, the character Christian has been carrying a heavy, horrific burden. When he encounters freedom in Christ, this immense baggage drops, “loosed from off his shoulders, and fell from off his back, and began to tumble; and so continued to do…and I saw it no more.”[1]

While life doesn’t always get easier, we are free from shame. When life is hectic, it’s important to be aware the Cross also released us from guilt. I’m thankful that a blank screen caused me to recognize - - while it was hard to process how gripping that guilt was on my life - - I serve a bigger God who has freed me. 

GOING DEEPER:
1. What guilt/shame do you struggle with?
2. Take it to the Lord - - He has conquered guilt.

FURTHER READING:
Romans 8:1-4 (The Message)

Lexi recently married Andrew, serves with Children’s Ministries at Oakwood, and is a fourth grade teacher at Lake Country Christian Academy.


[1] Bunyan, Pilgrim’s Progress, chapter 3 (http://www.learnthebible.org/c_p_pilgrims_progress_chapter_3.htm)