Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Collections of Remembrance
by Jeannine Sawall

"You keep track of all my sorrows. You have collected all my tears in your bottle. You have recorded each one in your book."
Psalm 56:8 (NLT)

Years ago, we began a tradition of collecting ornaments to mark special events and occasions in our family life. As babies were born, first-year ornaments adorned the tree. School days, sports, instruments, drivers’ licenses and currently, high school graduation ornaments commemorate special days. Adding to these are ornaments from around the country and world, reminding us of the travels we've had and the memories we've made. Our collection is never complete.

It's become tradition for our family to unwrap these ornaments together. I love to hear the boys "ooh and ahh" as they carefully unveil each ornament and relive the memory. I LOVE that they remember. These simple reminders of places we've been, fun times we've had, the glimpses of our family history bring such joy. While I collect ornaments, I have friends who collect spoons or patches, balls of yarn or crystal pieces. There's no end to what someone can collect. 

God collects tears. When I came across this verse, I wondered, "Why would He collect tears?"  As I pondered His unique collection, I thought about the reasons behind our collections. We want to be reminded. We want to remember where we've been. We want to remember what milestones have passed. We want to remember special people who have gone before us. Each piece of my collection represents one of those events/places/people. And while God does not need to collect my tears to remember, He wants me to know He remembers. Each tear I have shed in sorrow, He makes note of. Each tear that falls, He tenderly collects it, so not one is forgotten or missed.  

Whatever hurt or sorrow you are experiencing, take hope in the fact that the one who loves you most is aware. He is aware you are hurting and is grieving with you. He has not forgotten you but remembers you each moment of each day. I love what 19th century clergyman and author Phillip Brooks said:

"We talk about God remembering us, as if it were a special effort. But if we could only know how truly we belong to God, it would be different. God’s remembrance of us is the natural claiming of our life by Him as true part of His own."

We can trust that He has not forgotten us. He is the one who promises to wipe every tear from our eyes (Revelation 21:4).  And until that day comes, He continues to collect each tear that falls. Take comfort, dear ones, the God of the universe remembers you!

GOING DEEPER:
1) How can these verses encourage you to walk with hope, despite times when tears fall?
2) Who do you know needs to be encouraged that God remembers them?

FURTHER READING:

Jeannine is married to Marty and is a busy mother of four boys. She works in property management, serves in Café and actively ministers to those walking through grief.