Tuesday, September 9, 2014

More Than You Can Handle
By Carolyn Hulliberger

“Surely God is my help;
The Lord is the one who sustains me.”
Psalm 54:4 (NIV)

There is a saying that goes, “God won’t give you more than you can handle.”

It’s a lie.

How do I know this?  Because, at times, I have been given plenty more than I can handle…on my own.  You see, the saying needs to be changed to, “God won’t give you more than HE can handle.”

As Christ-followers, we are not shielded from the consequences of living in a fallen, imperfect world.  Accidents still happen, disasters still strike, disease still occurs. 

And we can’t handle it…without Him.  In fact, I believe there have been times when I was given more than I can handle for the express purpose of turning my wholehearted attention to the Savior who loves me.

Because I couldn’t do it on my own anymore.

So while God doesn’t promise that He won’t give us more than we can handle, He does promise many other provisions when life falls apart, and we surrender to His working in our lives.  Here are just a few:

His Courage:  “I can do everything through Christ who gives me strength.”  Philippians 4:13

His Guidance:  “I will counsel you and watch over you,” says the Lord.  Psalm 32:8

His Peace:  “Jesus said, ‘Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you.  I do not give to you as the world gives.  Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.’”  John 14:27

His Presence:  “The LORD himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.  Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged.”  Deuteronomy 31:8

His Caring:  “Cast all your anxiety on God because he cares for you.”  1 Peter 5:7

His Forgiveness:  “In Christ we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God’s grace that he lavished on us with all wisdom and understanding.”  Ephesians 1:7-8

His Help:  “God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble.”  Psalm 46:1

His Love:  “For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.”  Romans 8:38-39

GOING DEEPER:
1. Have you been trying to handle circumstances on your own, only to find yourself buckling under the weight? 
2. Which of God’s provisions do you especially need today?

Along with caring for her husband and two children, Carolyn is an Office Representative for State Farm Insurance, serves in Student Ministries with junior high girls.