Thursday, September 4, 2014

Power
By Elizabeth Cole

“His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness.”
2 Peter 1:3(NIV)

It’s all about God: God’s Plan….not ours. God’s Purpose…not ours. God’s Power…not ours.

True confessions: Even when I’ve really internalized and own the first two aspects, there is still that pull to act in my own power. I get that He’s the One who laid all the groundwork; I get that, when it’s all said and done, He’s the One who receives all glory. So, why am I still tempted to think that what I DO has to come from my own reservoir of power? Why do I still evaluate my availability to God based on how much sleep I got last night and whether I feel fully competent for His call? Whether I’m convinced of sure success before I even attempt to obey?

Self-absorption takes on two faces. The first is the self-denigrating face; the second is the self-exalting face. Either way, we’re looking solely at ourselves. The remedy? Look up. Look to the God of the Universe, the Savior of our soul.

Ephesians 3:20 (NIV) Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, ACCORDING TO HIS POWER THAT IS AT WORK WITHIN US, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever….

Colossians 1:10-11a (NIV) And we pray this in order that you may live a life worthy of the Lord and may please him in every way: bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God, BEING STRENGTHENED WITH ALL POWER ACCORDING TO HIS GLORIOUS MIGHT, so that you may have great endurance and patience….

Romans 15:13 (NIV) May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope BY THE POWER OF THE HOLY SPIRIT.

Ephesians 1:18-20 (NIV) I pray also that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints, and HIS INCOMPARABLY GREAT POWER FOR US WHO BELIEVE. That power is like the working of his mighty strength, which he exerted in Christ when he raised him from the dead and seated him at his right hand in the heavenly realms.

GOING DEEPER:
1. Which of the above verses would you be willing to memorize?

FURTHER READING:
Numbers 11:23

Elizabeth is a wife and mother to three grown daughters. She is the Director of Connecting and Women’s Ministries at Oakwood Church.