Thursday, September 11, 2014

It Is Finished
By Susan Klein

Jesus said, “It is finished.” 
With that, He bowed His head and gave up His spirit.
John 19:30 (NIV)

Every once in awhile, I find my mind wandering to the memories of sins in my past. Old feelings of guilt overcome me and I wonder how God could possibly have forgiven them all, not to mention how He keeps forgiving my many trespasses in the present…and those yet to come. I want to cry out like King David in the Old Testament, “Remember not the sins of my youth and my rebellious ways” (Psalm 25:7, NIV). That is when I have to take my thoughts back to the finished work of the Cross.

When Jesus uttered the words, “It is finished” from the Cross, He wasn’t talking about His physical life being over. He was speaking of the completion of the task He had been called to perform by the Father: bearing all the sins of the world and paying the penalty for each and every one of us. The word “finished” here indicates a conclusion of a job or task, a goal achieved - - yet not just ended but brought to perfection.  In essence, Jesus was saying, “Father, what you have asked me to do has been perfectly completed, now and forevermore.”  (Jesus spoke of this completed work before it even happened in His prayer to the Father in John, chapter 17.) Since I know this to be a true statement, how can I possibly question His forgiveness? Who am I to suggest that my sins are too great for this finished perfect work?

In their song, “You Love Me Anyway,” the Sidewalk Prophets describe this very sentiment:

I am the thorn in Your crown
But You love me anyway
I am the sweat from Your brow
But You love me anyway
I am the nail in Your wrist
But You love me anyway
I am Judas' kiss
But You love me anyway
 [1]

God loved us so much that He willingly gave us His perfect Son, who demonstrated His love by dying on the Cross and paying the penalty once and for all for every sin ever committed on the face of this earth. His one act of selfless, perfect   love was the final payment, bringing all sacrifices to a final end. Conclusion: “It is finished.”

Dear ones, it truly is finished. We are once and for all, now and forever, completely forgiven. Let’s live like it!

GOING DEEPER:
1. What sins in your own life might you have trouble viewing as “forgiven”?
2. Ponder the personal significance of these three words, “It is finished.”

FURTHER READING:

[1] You Love Me Anyway, These Simple Truths Album, By: Sidewalk Prophets, Word Records / 2009 

Susan is married to Mark, and has two adult children. She enjoys teaching Bible studies, writing, and tutoring with the Literacy Council.