Tuesday, September 16, 2014

How Long?
By Jeannine Sawall

“How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever? How long will you hide your face from me?”
Psalm 13:1 (NIV)

How often in our lives can we relate with King David and ask the Lord “How long?” I know in my own struggles, “How long?” rang out time and again while I watched friends and family around me birth baby after healthy baby while I lost baby after baby in miscarriage. “How long, Lord, before I will hold my own baby?” “How long, Lord, before you take me out of this dark place?” “How long, Lord, before I feel your presence again?” 

As Christians, we often find ourselves in a time of waiting. Perhaps today you find yourself in the agonizing days of “How long?”  How long will I be unemployed? How long will my child wrestle with God? How long until I find a husband?...struggle with ill health?...be united with my loved one whom I miss in earnest? How long Lord until you return?! How long does life have to continue to be so difficult? Waiting in “How long” can cause us to become discouraged and lose hope that God will deliver us!

However, if we read on in Psalm 13, David, while acknowledging his grief and frustration, remembers the promises given to him. He reminds himself of what God has done in the past. He goes on to say, “But I trust in your unfailing love. I will rejoice because you have rescued me” (Psalm 13:5, NIV). Knowing that David asked questions in hard times can help strengthen our faith. We no longer have to rely on saying the “right words,” giving Christian platitudes or the lie of “I’m fine.” We can share our heartsickness with our loving God, realizing He doesn’t need or want “pretty words.”  Instead, He wants us to share our hurts and frustrations honestly, but also remember to trust in the promise that He is who He says He is.

We also have to remember that God works unencumbered by time. He does not wear a watch and He does not need a calendar app to remind Him how much time has passed. When we are in a season of “How long,” we are called to follow David’s commitment…to believe God still is in control, still is unfailing and still keeps His promises. Sometimes in the midst of difficulties and waiting, our hearts may not sing the same song our minds tell us to, but we can embrace the words of belief and trust…no matter how long it takes.

GOING DEEPER:
1.  Are you in a season of waiting? How will you show the Lord that you believe He is faithful?
2.  Have you lost hope because God is taking too long? What could you do today to re-orient yourself to hope?

FURTHER READING:

Jeannine is a wife and mother of four active boys. She works in the property management business. Jeannine serves with the Oakwood café and is actively involved in ministry to those walking through grief.