Tuesday, November 24, 2015

A Thankful Heart is a Happy Heart
By Brita Crouse

“Since everything God created is good, we should not reject any of it. We may receive it gladly, with thankful hearts.”

When I was in college, I had a psychology professor who started out each week by asking us what we were thankful for from the previous seven days. His reasoning for this weekly ritual was both scientific and spiritual. Every Monday, he would remind us what studies have proven: the positive impact that talking about what you are thankful for has on overall life satisfaction and happiness. The more you talk about your blessings, the happier you will be with your life. Also, talking about your blessings will make you more aware of the ways God is working in your life.

Being the curious college student that I was, I decided to put his theory to the test in a practical way. It was my junior year, infamously the most difficult one. My roommate and I were struggling to stay positive. We both had leadership roles within our dorm, which weighed heavily on us, as well as rigorous academic schedules. Things were rough and our tendency was to complain. A lot. But, putting theory into practice, we decided to make a list of things we were thankful for, hopeful that our attitudes would change.

God works in amazing ways, let me tell you. He changed our pessimistic, cynical attitudes right around when we made that list. Some of the things we put on the list were silly, like the Packers or frozen yogurt. Some of the things were more serious, like each other and our church. But, each item on the list was important to us, and God had somehow used every item to bring us closer to each other and to Him. I would say my professor’s theory was pretty accurate!

It can be so easy to complain about our circumstances. But wishing we were someone else, living somewhere else or doing something else does not change anything. God desires to bless us, but we sure ought to acknowledge those blessings. Sometimes I need to remind myself that I am a religiously free, college-educated, working, independent woman just to give myself some perspective and a change of attitude.

If each of us took more time to think and talk about how blessed we are, I’m sure there would be a lot less complaining and a lot more praising. Even more…we can easily turn our weary, hardened hearts to happy, thankful ones, just by counting our blessings! 

GOING DEEPER:
1.  What are ways you can be actively and daily counting your blessings?
2.  Make a list of what you are thankful for this week. Share that list with someone close to you.

FURTHER READING:


Brita is currently working toward her Master’s in Counseling at the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities. She has called Oakwood her home church for the past seventeen years.