Wednesday, November 4, 2015

The Eyes of Jesus
By Tracy Smith

“You are judging by appearances. If anyone is confident that they belong to Christ, they should consider again that we belong to Christ just as much as they do.”

Give me Your eyes for just one second
Give me Your eyes so I can see
Everything that I keep missing
Give me Your love for humanity
Give me Your arms for the broken-hearted
The ones that are far beyond my reach
Give me Your heart for the ones forgotten
Give me Your eyes so I can see
[1]

As a junior high leader at my church, I have the privilege of attending awesome events like our recent retreat. One of the videos we watched was called “God’s Glasses” and it showed a young man frustrated with many things around him.

His internal dialogue was extremely crabby and frustrated with everyone he encountered: the pre-teen who skateboards behind his car every day as he’s leaving; a woman who cuts him off in the parking lot and steals his parking space; a barista who is overworked so he must wait for his coffee, etc.

In the midst of his internal grouching, he is given a pair of glasses to wear that give him different insight on those around him. Truths about the people around him are revealed, and his internal attitude starts to change. Some of the things he sees?
The skateboarder “…just needs someone to care.”
The parking spot stealer “…is grieving her best friend.”
The overworked (and possibly slow-moving) barista “…is fighting addiction.”

His internal dialogue, which quite frankly seemed to make sense, is suddenly revealed as short-sighted. When it is revealed what these people are dealing with on the inside, the outside behaviors are not as frustrating. The video ends with a glimpse of what he is doing to change himself and his reactions.

I’m ashamed to admit that my internal dialogue can sound an awful lot like the young man in the beginning of the video - - especially in certain situations.

I’m challenging myself to stop that negative, internal dialogue.  And even though I don’t have a special pair of glasses to show me what is really happening in someone’s life, I need to react with compassion, kindness and grace to those around me.


GOING DEEPER:
1.  Watch the God’s Glasses video. Does this video challenge you in any way? If so, what is your plan to change things?
2.  Watch the video for the Brandon Heath song, “Give Me Your Eyes.” Does this video challenge you to really see those around you? If so, what is your plan to truly see others?

FURTHER READING:

Along with being a wife and mother to two teenage boys, Tracy is a ministry assistant at Oakwood, serves on the Women’s Ministry Special Events Team and works with a great group of junior high girls.