Thursday, November 12, 2015

Wind
By Susan Klein

“Who has gathered up the wind in the hollow of his hand?”

Fall has arrived in Wisconsin and with it… so have the winds. I was sitting at the table this morning, having my coffee, as I watched the leaves shower my backyard with each new gust of wind. Before I made my way out on this blustery day, I decided to ponder this mystery called “wind.”

Wind is truly amazing if you think about it. Wind cannot be seen, yet you know it is there by its effect on other things. A gentle breeze makes small ripples on a lake, blows wisps of hair around your face or brings relief on a hot day. Stronger winds are necessary to scatter seeds and remove old leaves from trees in preparation for winter. Gale force winds can leave a path of destruction in their wake, including the loss of lives. You also can’t hear the wind, but you hear its effect as it brushes against or between objects.

In Scripture, wind is known as ruah  in Old Testament Hebrew and, on occasion, pneuma  in New Testament Greek; both are also translated to mean “breath” or “spirit.” Many concur it is “the breath or Spirit of God.” Ruah first shows up in Genesis chapter one as “spirit,” where we read that “the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.” It appears in chapter two as “breath,” when God “breathed into his (man’s) nostrils the breath of life…”

All throughout Scripture, we read of God’s breath or Spirit coming upon people: sweeping over lands, parting waters, closing seas, bringing life and bringing death. It is important to note that in all cases, only God can control this powerful force. “He let loose the east wind from the heavens and led forth the south wind by His powers” (Psalm 78:26). “Even the wind and the waves obey Him” (Mark 4:41). “He makes winds His messengers” (Psalm 104:4).

As I watch the leaves swirl about, it gives me great peace to know that my heavenly Father sovereignly controls this mighty force. And like the wind, even though I cannot see my God, I know He is there, in Spirit, by the effect He has on me and on everything around me. And though I cannot hear Him, I know He speaks to me through the effects of His Word on my heart.

“It’s your breath in our lungs, so we pour out our praise to You only.” (1)

GOING DEEPER:
1. How are you aware of God’s breath in your daily life?
2. Watch and listen for Him today.

FURTHER READING:

Susan is married to Mark, and has two adult children. She enjoys teaching Bible studies, writing, and tutoring with the Literacy Council. She is a member of the Peace Team at Oakwood and also co-leads a Wednesday Night Community small group

(1) “Great Are You Lord,” All Sons And Daughters, Integrity Music, 2014