Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Can I Have One?
By Jeannine Sawall

  Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.

While I like to think I have taught my children to have a generous spirit, occasionally, their generosity can be called into question. While eating, I asked one of my boys if I could have one of his french fries.  He started looking in his bag of fries with diligence. I sat there waiting with great expectation; he must be searching for the best fry in the package! Finally, he pulled one out and handed it to me…a burnt little stub of a fry!!  “Really!?!…this is the best you have for me?” I asked.  “If I give you more, I won’t have enough!” was his reply. I told him he had a WHOLE bag of fries and he could share a few with his mom! He begrudgingly pulled out a couple of decent-looking fries to share.

At first, I was a little miffed at his stinginess. I mean, after all…I paid for those fries…technically, they were ALL mine. Whenever my boys ask to share something I had, I happily handed it over. Hadn’t I modeled a generous spirit to them? As I sat there with my thoughts, it came to me that oftentimes I offer the Lord that same stubby, burnt fry as well. How often had He asked for my time, my energy, my talents and I begrudgingly game Him a few minutes, a half-hearted effort or something less than my best? Everything I had came from His hand… didn’t He deserve better than that?

It’s easy to see others’ lack of generosity, but it’s more difficult to see our own. How often has the Lord asked something of us and we’ve offered him the short, burnt fry? Maybe it’s a ministry you’re being asked to be a part of and you feel you can’t spare the time. Perhaps it’s a friend who needs some encouragement and you just don’t feel you have the energy. Or maybe it’s a talent you’re being asked to share when you are feeling overwhelmed already. We need to consider all we have - - our time, our energy and our talents - - as gifts from the Lord and we need to examine our responses when asked to share them. Sometimes, it is legitimate to say “no,” but often, we are called to say “yes” despite wanting to offer only the short fry! We can trust the Lord to always provide us with enough! 


GOING DEEPER:
1.  Where in your life are you offering less than your best to the Lord?
2.  What can you do to trust Him more with your time, talent and energies?

FURTHER READING:


Jeannine is a wife and mother of four active boys. She works in the property management business. Jeannine serves in the Oakwood Cafe and is actively involved in ministry to those walking through grief.