Thursday, November 5, 2015

The Sacrifice
By Brita Crouse

“But giving thanks is a sacrifice that truly honors Me.”

“Forgive me, Father, for not being all here. When Your very name is I AM and You are in the present and here is where I can love You. Today, when I race ahead - - return me to all here.” [1]

I find myself doing this all the time. Future-focused, always planning one step ahead, wanting to move on to the next thing. But, by living like this, I’m essentially wishing parts of my life away.

This year I have been reading through One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp. In this book, Ann explains the importance of giving thanks to God in order to slow ourselves down, live a happier life and, most importantly, to acknowledge God’s presence in our lives on a daily basis. Over the course of a year, Ann made a list of 1,000 things she was thankful for. This book is her journey through that year.

Reading Ann’s story has encouraged me to look at my own life differently. So right after I read the above prayer by Ann, I wrote my own prayer:

“God, I am so guilty of this…Living like this leaves me feeling rushed, leaves me only future-focused. But to really live, to live my life for You, I have to be living in the present. I can’t fully experience life if I am continually wishing precious seconds away…Please help me to appreciate the moments I have when I have them. I will never have a second chance at living them…”

Sometimes living in the present and appreciating moments takes sacrifice. It means slowing down. It means not worrying about the future. It means seeing God - - even in difficult circumstances. This sacrifice is not easy; it requires patience and attention to detail. But when we find things to give thanks for, we have a better view of God’s goodness, love and grace in our lives.

Maybe you are dealing with a difficult medical diagnosis? Maybe you are struggling in your marriage or in other relationships? Maybe you just received exciting news? Maybe you just got that promotion at work? God doesn’t love us any less or any more through these highs and lows of life. He loves us perfectly - - all the time. He desires to bless you, so let Him do it. Otherwise, you could be missing out on something great. 

So when you find yourself wishing moments away? Slow down, live presently, and find time to give thanks.

GOING DEEPER:
1.        Be more intentional about finding things in your daily life to be thankful for. Can you find 1,000 things over the course of a year?

FURTHER READING:

Brita is currently working toward her Master’s in Counseling at the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities. She has called Oakwood her home church for the past seventeen years.


[1] Ann Voskamp, One Thousand Gifts, (Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 2011) 65.