Monday, November 30, 2015

UnMemorable
By Becci J. Terrill

He must increase, but I must decrease.”
John 3:30 (NKJV)

Recently, a friend and I were discussing wedding planning. She has more experience in this area than I, so I appreciated her wise advice. Every bride wants her wedding to be memorable, but every bride’s budget is different. My friend said that with the many expenses involved in a wedding, it is best to prioritize areas and focus on those that are most important. One area that she addressed specifically was food. As you can imagine, this is a huge expense for any wedding, and it is difficult to please everyone - - no matter what your budget might be. She said their goal was that the food would be “unmemorable.”

Unmemorable? That didn’t make sense to me until she explained. Their goal was that guests would enjoy the food, but it wouldn’t be the focus of their memories - - rather they would remember the delightful time spent with family and friends.

This piece of advice stuck with me, and caused me to look at other areas of my life differently. So much of life is focused on gaining a good name and reputation for one’s self. We want to be remembered for who we were and what we did. We even have special places where we remember “unknown” soldiers. The idea of being “unmemorable” would be the ultimate failure.

But in Scripture, I read about people like John the Baptist, who spent his entire adult life pointing people to Someone other than himself. He didn’t want attention. He lived in a desert, away from people, but people came to him. Instead of talking about himself, he told people about Jesus. He made statements like, “He must increase, but I must decrease.”  He didn’t want people to remember him. He wanted people to remember Jesus.

What about me? When I step in front of people, my first concern should not be “What will they think of me? Will they enjoy what they hear?”  My first and only concern should be  “Will people see Jesus in what I do? Will they hear Jesus speaking through me?” My life should reflect Jesus, not me. He must increase, and I must decrease. He should be memorable, and I should be unmemorable.

Face it. We all want to be remembered. Let’s be the kind of people who are remembered because of Jesus.

GOING DEEPER:
1.  What do people remember the most about you? If Jesus isn’t at the top of the list, how can you change that?

FURTHER READING:
Study the lives of John the Baptist and the Apostle Paul. Both men had great impact for Jesus, and neither cared what others thought of them - - only Jesus.


Becci Terrill is a wife and mom to two adult daughters. She is the Children's Ministry Director at Oakwood Church.