Thursday, July 5, 2018


In-dependence
by Becci J. Terrill

For apart from me you can do nothing.
John 15:5b (NIV)


Independence. As Americans, we are proud of our independence. We remember what it cost and celebrate it every summer. We send troops around the world to defend and protect it.

As parents, we raise our children to be independent. From an early age, we do what we can to help them learn skills and make wise choices in the hope that they will become independent adults. We celebrate each victory and achievement.

But, is “independence” what God wants for His children?

I have been experiencing a prolonged season - - not of my choosing - - of living “in dependence” on others. Unable to do all but the simplest things, I have had to depend on the help of family and friends.

As an “independent” woman, living in dependence on others does not come easy for me. Independence brings pride. Dependence requires humility. I have experienced many humbling and humiliating circumstances on this journey. It has not been fun. It has taught me much.

Throughout Scripture, God makes it very clear that as His children, He wants us to live “in dependence” on Him. In John 15, Jesus says He is the vine, we are the branches. A vine is dependent on the branch for life. Jesus further tells us to “abide in Him.” Just like the example of the vine and branch, we are to “dwell” in Jesus or take up our residence with and be dependent on Him.

Psalm 91:1-2 says, “”Those who live in shelter of the Most High will find rest in the shadow of the Almighty.”  As a child, I loved these verses. The visual picture that accompanied this Scripture was of a giant saguaro cactus standing in the middle of the dessert. Tucked in one of the mighty branches was a small owl. The saguaro provided safety, protection, shelter and rest for the tiny bird.

As an adult in a season of dependence, these verses have taken on new meaning. I see a beautiful picture of “abiding in” Jesus, and being dependent on Him. When I do this, I will experience shelter and rest as in Psalm 91. Living in dependence on Jesus also brings safety, protection and peace (2 Corinthians 1:8-9). Like the tiny owl, I want and need this.

My body will heal and my “independence” will return, but I will always have the scars from my season of living “in dependence.” May God use these to keep me depending on Him.


GOING DEEPER:
  1. Listen to the song, “Christ in Me” by Jeremy Camp. May we, like the song says, empty ourselves so Christ is the source of our life…the One by whom we live and breathe.

FURTHER READING:

Becci Terrill is a wife and mom to two adult daughters. She is the Children’s Ministry Director at Oakwood Church.