Tuesday, July 24, 2018


The Next Step
by Becci Terrill

“We can make our plans, but the Lord determines our steps.
Proverbs 16:9 (NLT)


Whoosh!

In a split second, my feet went out from under me, and I lay motionless on the ground. As I gathered my thoughts, I realized that my right foot was not where it ought to be - -  tucked neatly under my body. Instead, it had gone a different direction. I reached down, picked it up and placed it back where I thought it should be, then lay still in the snow.

What now?

After an ambulance ride and emergency room visit, I lay at home with my ankle set and bandaged, facing surgery and months of recovery. This was not part of “the plan.” This was not “supposed” to happen. I had prayed about being in that place at that time. God had directed. I had followed. I was supposed to be speaking the next morning, sharing with a group of women what God had given to me for them. Surely He wanted me to finish the work He had called me to do?

“We can make our plans, but the Lord determines our steps,”   read the verse written in a card from a friend (Proverbs 16:9).  Does that mean this step too, Lord?
As I lay with elevated foot, the Holy Spirit reminded me what God’s Word said…

“Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Seek His will in all you do, and He will show you which path to take.”  (Proverbs 3:5-6)

I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.”  (Isaiah 29:11)

“And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purposes for them.”  (Romans 8:28)

God’s Word is constant and true in every situation - - even the unexpected “steps” that take us down a new path to a new destination. Does this mean that we shouldn’t make plans?

It certainly does not; however, it does  mean that our “expected destination” may be different than the destination God has planned. Scripture is filled with examples of this happening in the lives of those who loved God.

Psalm 37:23 says, “The Lord directs the steps of the godly. He delights in every detail of their lives.”  

Yes, even the unexpected ones.


GOING DEEPER:
  1. Has there been a time when God re-directed your steps? How did He use this re-direction for good?
  2. What “next step” are you considering? Have you taken it to the Lord?

FURTHER READING:
Read the stories of Joseph (Genesis 37, 39-47), Esther, Ruth and Daniel in the Old Testament (the last three are found in books by the same name). See how God took seemingly “bad” circumstances and worked them out for good.

Becci Terrill is a wife and mom to two adult daughters. She is the Children’s Ministry Director at Oakwood Church.