Monday, July 30, 2018


Love in the Midst of Suffering
by Sarah Walker

“My flesh and my heart may fail,but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.”
Psalm 73:26 (ESV)

The accident changed everything. Even though I was only 7 years old, I distinctly remember attending prayer vigils for my grandpa. He had fallen 30 feet head first to the asphalt below after a semi-truck collided with his bucket truck. Miraculously, he survived and lived for an additional 16 years. Every day after the accident was filled with pain, challenges and obstacles; but these never caused him to lose his faith.

Fast forward over a decade later from the accident. I was on break from school visiting my grandparents when my grandpa brought out one of his daily diaries from years ago, so he could read to me what he wrote on the day I was born. It was an expression of love and care that has remained with me ever since. He wanted to show me how valuable I was to him, and he demonstrated it in such a way that I could both hear and receive. Despite all his challenges, he went out of his way to show me how much I meant to both him and my grandma and how loved I was.

All the more, how meaningful is it that God went out of his way to show us how much He loved us by sending Jesus to pay for our sins. What love and selflessness! Yet, all too often, we as humans are unable to hear or receive His love. We think we must earn it. And so, God uses us to be shadows of His love to one another - - as he used my grandpa for me. Once we have a grasp of God’s love for us, for other believers and all mankind… We may actively reflect his love to those around us.

We don’t have to be smart, healthy or “have it all together.” After his accident, my grandpa was none of these. Due to his head injury, he was permanently reduced to the mental capacity of a third grader. By the world’s standards, he certainly did not appear to be the best person for God to use. But God uses the simple to confound the wise and the weak to best the strong. [1] May we be willing stewards of God’s love, letting the light of His love shine to those around us, even if only in “simple” ways.

GOING DEEPER:
1.    Who has shown God’s love to you?
2.    How can you demonstrate God’s love to someone else?


Sarah is married to Scott and is a full-time mom to their two young sons. She and Scott are involved in a small group focused on prayer and are expecting to welcome their third child in January.