Tuesday, July 31, 2018


Koinonia
By Lexi Cole Ellis

“What we have seen and heard we proclaim to you also, so that you too may have fellowship with us; and indeed our fellowship is with the Father, and with His Son Jesus Christ.”
1 John 1:3 (NASB)

The question was asked. Who has had the greatest spiritual impact on my life? I thought of how my mom models compassionate-boldness. I thought of how my dad lives servant-leadership. The way my father-in-law demonstrates “working through your stuff” biblically, and how my mother-in-law comforts like Jesus. The circle kept expanding to my sisters and close friends. And then, I thought of my church family… Those who vulnerably shared their own faith journey as they walked beside me on mine. It made me realize how insanely blessed I am, but it also presented quite the challenge. How in the world was I supposed to pick one?

But maybe that’s the point. How beautiful that the fellowship of Believers is a diversity of individuals - - bound by our imperfection but redeemed by our Savior. And how incredible that we come together to fill different spiritual needs at different seasons of life. Small group leaders who mentored me in high school. Individuals I seek now for Godly wisdom. Sermons or books the Holy Spirit uses to speak to my soul. Encouragement from my church family.

The greatest spiritual impact has been a quilt of many beautiful voices, each with different gifts and strengths in different seasons of life. And the common denominator was that each chose to use those gifts to love God through actively loving others.

The greatest spiritual impact on my life can be summed up by the Greek word “koinonia.” It’s often associated with Christian fellowship or the community of Believers: the Church. It’s used throughout Scripture, but I was drawn to its definition. It goes beyond fellowship and “being together.”  It includes words like “contribution… participation… and sharing.”
[1] Half the time koinonia is used to communicate our relationship with God, but the other half describes examples of the early Church and how they supported each other.

How amazing is our God that He uses imperfect people to come together and contribute to other Believers’ lives, participate in each other’s joys and sorrows and share our gifts for the glory of God.

GOING DEEPER:
1.    Take time to look at Acts 2:42-47. What do you notice about how the early Church focused on impacting others spiritually?
2.    Take time to make a list of who has impacted you spiritually. Find a way to tell those people this week.

FURTHER READING:
Acts 2; 1 John 1:6-7

Lexi’s family consists of her, her husband - Andrew, her daughter - Sloane, and her dog -  Calvin. She teaches sixth grade Reading and Writing and serves with Children’s Ministries.