Tuesday, October 1, 2013

A Change Will Do You Good
By Brita Crouse

“God, who has called you into fellowship with his Son Jesus Christ our Lord, is faithful.”

I love fall; it is my absolute favorite season. I love the beautiful colors of the leaves on the trees. I love the fall wardrobe: sweaters, boots, coats, hats, and scarves. I love the cool weather. I love the fall-inspired drinks you can find at every coffee shop. I love the excitement of going back to school and the start of football season. I especially love what fall represents: change - - a new season, a new beginning.

I have not always been so open to change and what a new situation will bring. I used to put up a lot of resistance when it came to one thing ending and another thing beginning. I found change to be too stressful and uncomfortable.

I remember when my parents first dropped me off at college - - a big life change. My roommate and I lay in our beds and cried. We were so scared of being left on our own, in a new place, with new people, far away from home. We were afraid of what new changes may bring. 

I realized something very important during this time. Change is stressful and uncomfortable, but it is also exciting and necessary. Change reveals to us an amazing characteristic of God: faithfulness.

What would happen if we never accepted any changes in life? Imagine if Andrew and Peter had never followed Jesus, but instead remained fishermen. Imagine if Moses didn’t follow God’s call and never led the Israelites out of exile. Imagine if Noah never stepped out in faith to build the ark, or David never left all he knew to kill the giant and become king. These people were risk-takers, trusting in a God who is always faithful. They saw that firsthand! 

When I graduated from college this year, I was so happy and thankful for the memories I made and the friendships I developed during my time away at school. God proved faithful through this major change and allowed me to be richly blessed because of it. How different my life would be if I hadn’t allowed God to show His faithfulness!

It is easy to be afraid of change because of its uncertainty or its inconvenience. But, if we put our trust in God, He will remain faithful!

With the start of a new season, don’t be scared of what changes may come. Rather, embrace them!

GOING DEEPER:
1.  What are some changes that you could start embracing this week?
2.  Pray that God would open your heart to life changes that are honoring and pleasing to Him.

FURTHER READING:

Brita recently graduated from Taylor University with a degree in Psychology, has been attending Oakwood for sixteen years, and is currently a helper for Oakwood’s Quest 56 and Just Among Moms weekly childcare team.