Friday, October 25, 2013

The “Birthday Blah’s”
By Carolyn Hulliberger

“Your love, O LORD, reaches to the heavens,
Your faithfulness to the skies.”
Psalm 36:5 (NIV)

I woke up with a serious case of the “Birthday Blah’s.” Ladies, you know what I’m talking about. On that morning, I looked in the mirror and a list of questions went through my head…should I just give up and quit dying my hair…could I get to the gym one more day a week…every life “would’ve/could’ve/should’ve” took up residence in my thoughts. My prayers felt flat. I was one comment short of a good crying jag. Inadequacy and insecurity ruled over me, making me a mental mess. Until the phone call came that would rock my world...

While I was neck-deep in the “blah’s,” my dad was having a stroke. I rushed to his bedside at the emergency room where the nurses and doctors were doing their work. The nurse asked Dad a series of questions. Do you know where you are? How did you get here? Do you have pain? Dad slowly searched for responses as best he could until she asked, “What day is it today?”

“It’s my daughter’s birthday.”

In the midst of a major medical crisis, where his brain was fuzzy and slow to respond, where “Monday” or “October 11” would have been acceptable, my Daddy REMEMBERED. And every nurse, doctor and therapist who saw Dad that day and asked him what day it was, got the same answer.

“It’s my daughter’s birthday.”

So if my earthly dad can remember this detail of my life and show me the depths of his love in the midst of his own suffering, how much more does my Heavenly Father know all the details about me and show me the depths of His Love!

Dad fully recovered due to a series of miracles that still leave me in awe. And once again, my birthday has come around. This year, instead of the “Birthday Blah’s,” I will rejoice and celebrate the anniversary of a day that could have irreparably changed my family. I will pray the end of the paraphrase of Psalm 30:

"You did it: you changed wild lament
   into whirling dance;
You ripped off my black mourning band
   and decked me with wildflowers.
I’m about to burst with song;
   I can’t keep quiet about you.
God, my God,
   I can’t thank you enough." (The Message)

GOING DEEPER:
1. Do you feel separated from God’s love or care? Read Romans 8:35-39. There is nothing that can separate you from Him.
2. Who else in your life needs to be reminded of this fact today?

FURTHER READING:
Psalm 139

Along with caring for her husband and two children, Carolyn works part-time, serves in Student Ministries with junior high girls, and is the treasurer for Women’s Ministries.