Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Boulders and Bags
By Elin Henderson

“Bear one another’s burdens and so fulfill the law of Christ….
For each one shall bear his own load

How many of you moms feel like the family pack mule? You go out somewhere and everyone decides to dump their bags and belongings either with you or in your  bag?  That’s why I have a purse the size of the Grand Canyon! It’s for everyone ELSE’s stuff, not just my own.  Sometimes I want to shout, “My bag was meant for me! I fill it, I carry it!!”

As women, we often find ourselves in this quandary of how much to carry. We have our own loads that we are meant to carry, just like it says in verse 5 of Galatians 6. They are our bags/loads and no one else can carry them but us. These are the personal things that are between us and God.  Just as I can’t carry someone else’s “bag,” I also can’t expect anyone else to carry mine.  But, on top of having our bags, we have boulders in our lives, as well. These are the burdens (the BIG things) that wear us down. We might have a purse the size of the Grand Canyon, but we don’t want to have to carry around a boulder from the Grand Canyon all by ourselves! These boulders/burdens of verse 2 are the heavy, hard things that God places in our lives that were never meant to be carried alone. 

So, we need to be on a discernment double watch for boulders and bags. Am I trying to carry someone else’s bag? Or am I expecting someone else to carry my  bag? On the same but different note, am I allowing others to help me with the boulders in my life AND am I looking for ways to shoulder the boulders in my friends’ lives?  

God grant me the serenity to…shoulder the right boulders and bear the right bags….and the ability to know the difference!
         
GOING DEEPER:                                               
1.  What are some boulders in your life that you could use a helping shoulder to bear? 
2. Who is the ultimate bag and boulder carrier? (Matthew 11:30)

FURTHER READING:

Oakwood’s missionaries Elin Henderson (a registered nurse) and her husband Phil serve as church planters with New Tribes in Mozambique, Africa.  Elin is mother to thirteen-year-old Callie and ten-year-old Elias. They are currently in America on Home Assignment.