Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Hello, My Name Is…
By Tracy Smith

“Yet to all who did receive him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God—.”
John 1:12 (NIV)

There is song by Matthew West that really resonates with me. It is called “Hello, My Name Is.”  It starts,

Hello, my name is regret
I'm pretty sure we have met
Every single day of your life
I'm the whisper inside
That won't let you forget.

Hello, my name is defeat
I know you recognize me.
Just when you think you can win,
I'll drag you right back down again
'Til you've lost all belief
[1]

Oh, how we can focus on all the things we feel we have failed at or the personality traits that make us feel “less than.” Focusing on the negative like this can make us feel defeated and ashamed.

The song goes on to say, 
These are the voices, these are the lies
And I have believed them, for the very last time

Hello, my name is child of the one true King
I've been saved, I've been changed, and I have been set free
"Amazing Grace" is the song I sing
Hello, my name is child of the one true King
[1]

Child of the one true King! Let that sink in. If you have put your faith in the Lord, you can claim this! Whenever the voices and the lies start up in your mind, remember they are lies and not from God (John 8:44).

Sometimes, we define ourselves by the sins we’ve committed. We identify ourselves with the things we once struggled or continually struggle with. We need to remember we are not defined by what we’ve done but who we are - - a child of the one true KING!

GOING DEEPER:
1. Watch the video for the song by Matthew West. (http://www.godtube.com/watch/?v=0F9EB1NU) Is there a negative name tag you see that you particularly identify with?
2. Will you commit to reminding yourself, “I am a child of the one true King” when you start believing the lies?

FURTHER READING:

[1] West, Matthew. “Hello My Name Is.” Into the Light, Sparrow Records, 2012.

Along with being a wife and mother to two boys, Tracy is an administrative assistant at Oakwood, serves on the Women’s Ministry Special Events Team and leads a great group of Junior High girls.