Thursday, October 3, 2013

Angry
By Peggy Kleckner

“Now, O LORD, take away my life, for it is better for me to die than to live.” But the LORD replied, “Have you any right to be angry?” ”

Have you ever been there? Discouraged with your own life, just wanting to be done with the effort of it? Are you mad about your lot in life, frustrated over the amount of effort you put in, or how little someone else has put in (at least according to your scale)? Do things look unfair or out of balance to you?

Does it seem as if you have put out so much effort with little to show for it, while others seem to just fall into those bowls of cherries?

Do your dark days seem to stretch on and on, while others seem to untangle so much more quickly? Are you storming the gates of heaven with your demand to be “done”?

You are not alone.

God’s question calls me up short. Do I truly have any “right” to be angry? I may have the feeling of anger, but an actual “right” to that feeling is another matter altogether. If I say, “Yes, I do have the right to my anger,” aren’t I saying that I have somehow earned something or deserved a particular outcome? That somehow I am in control and, by my efforts, I am calling the shots; I am master of my destiny? Do I really think that I have control over Him? Do I think that I have a right to be judge and jury of my life and/or the lives of others?

Is not every breath grace? If, in my anger I say, “Take my life!” am I not then truly saying, “Take away your grace!” Would it not be more sensible to ask Him how to live in His grace, using the gifts as He has chosen to apportion them? Should I not bow my head now in repentance of my arrogance and pride?

If you go back to the context of this verse you will find that Jonah was angry that God was compassionate toward his enemies when they repented. He enjoyed God’s compassion, but apparently he still wanted his enemies to “pay for their wickedness.”  May we be men and women who are willing to rejoice in God’s grace and compassion wherever He chooses to pour it out. May we also be teachable when our anger leads to His response and questions.

GOING DEEPER:
1.  Are you angry with your lot in life at present?
2.  Are you willing to discuss that anger with your Creator?

FURTHER READING:

Peggy is a wife and mother of four adult children - - two sons and two stepsons, and is an active encourager at Oakwood Church in Delafield.