Monday, October 21, 2013

Glimpses of Heaven
By Brita Crouse

“He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.”

As a psychology major and a history-lover, I am fascinated by studying people and culture. Probably my favorite time period to research is the World War II era. So, this past year, when I had the chance to visit Auschwitz and Birkenau, two concentration camps used during the war, I was interested (and nervous) to see firsthand these formational pieces of history.

I knew that I would be affected by this trip, but I didn’t know just how much of an impact it would have on me, or what I would take away from visiting these camps. During the visit, as I stood at the end of a set of train tracks inside Birkenau, literally “the end of the line,” and farther than most people ever made into the camp, God showed me a “glimpse of Heaven.”

God’s promise of a new heaven and a new earth one day is  that there will be no more tears or death, no more mourning or crying or pain, because God will bring restoration and make everything right. I love thinking about that, and standing at the end of those train tracks, I got a glimpse of what a world without pain and suffering would look like. It’s ironic I happened to be in the middle of a concentration camp thinking these things because this was a place where unimaginable suffering occurred, millions of tears were shed, and thousands of voices cried out to be rescued.

I found hope knowing someday this place, where so many evil things happened, will be redeemed and set right. It gave me comfort knowing the voices of these victims were heard by the only One who could really comprehend what they were going through. I was encouraged to know He cried with them.

Maybe you are like me and get weighed down by the worries of this world. Tragedies happen daily across the globe, and it is easy to become overwhelmed by everything. But, take heart! There is hope!

As Christians, we can trust that one day all things will be set right. But while we wait for that day, we can share our “glimpses of Heaven” - - the promises that God has given us - - during troubled times with those who need hope and encouragement. What a powerful gift that is!

GOING DEEPER:
1.  This week share a “glimpse of Heaven” with someone who is troubled or hurting.
2.  Listen to the song “Where I Belong” by Switchfoot. Write down what excites you most about Heaven.

FURTHER READING:

Brita recently graduated from Taylor University with a degree in Psychology, has been attending Oakwood for sixteen years, and is currently a helper for Oakwood’s Quest 56 and the Just Among Moms weekly childcare team.