Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Grieving
By Peggy Kleckner

“Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.”

Mourn:  to feel or express sorrow for (something regrettable); to grieve for (someone dead) [1]

My heart is in a place of deep grieving. It is a remembered place: a place of pain, heartache, anger, unanswered and unasked questions. It is like being on a ship in the middle of the ocean on a dark and starless night with no hope for navigation. It is a place of deep waiting. Waiting for dawn, waiting for answers or directions, or instructions…waiting for Him.

It is a remembered place for me because I have run from it before. I couldn’t or wouldn’t endure it, so I buried it and ran back to life. This time, I must wait.

It is the cry of my heart to know Jesus. To know someone is to know his or her pain and share in it. Best friends don’t run when life gets ugly, they come alongside and walk with you in it.

My heart knows that His Word is true and that He will not abandon me to my pain, but rather will meet me in it. God’s Word says that Jesus is a man of sorrows and acquainted with grief” (Isaiah 53:3). My Savior knows this remembered place well. He will meet me here and I will know His heart more by walking this path with Him.

I will not run. I will wait in this desolate place. This place where questions and words have died away, emotions have been spent and I am bowed down in worship. Clearly and surely recognizing that I am but dust. All pretenses have been stripped from me. Self has been poured out and I am waiting. I am beginning to understand that both the Father and the Son endured this painful place in order to make the way home for me. In my grieving, I find them and our hearts draw nearer.

I have heard it said and found it to be true that our most intimate meetings with Jesus are not on the Mount of Transfiguration; they are on Mount Calvary. It is there His heart is revealed and I am comforted by His love poured out for me.

To refuse to grieve is to refuse to know His heart. I choose to grieve, for I am finding that it is not a place of desolation, but of fullness. It is a place that reveals the fullness of His love.

GOING DEEPER:
1.  Have you ever buried your pain, rather than endure the season of grieving?
2.  Is there someone near to you that needs you to walk with them through their season of grief?

FURTHER READING:

[1] Webster’s New World Dictionary

Peggy is a wife and mother of four adult children - - two sons and two stepsons, and is an active encourager at Oakwood Church in Delafield.