Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Light in the Darkness
By Peggy Kleckner
 
"While I am in the world, I am the light of the world."
John 9:5 (NIV)

I am really tired of darkness. The news blares it. Facebook is full of it. It is in our newspapers, in our magazines. It feels like a tidal wave crashing across all of life.

I can get so focused on what is wrong here that I forget about the light. My ears are full of doom and gloom, my eyes are fixed on the broken, my mind is consumed with endless painful trials. I am weary and crying out, "God, don't you care? Where are you?"

I am so like the disciples. I read in Scripture that they were out on the lake, a place they were used to, and a storm came up. I am sure they were used to storms as well, but this one seemed to be winning against them.  Where was Jesus?  "Jesus was in the stern, sleeping on a cushion" (Mark 4:38).

Imagine you are rowing your heart out, working with others to keep the boat upright and where do you see Jesus? In the back of the boat asleep! 

They asked what I myself have asked Him recently, "Teacher, don't you care if we drown?" What did Jesus do? He acted and then He spoke. First, He calmed the sea that was causing them all the trouble, and then He addressed them, "Why are you so afraid? Do you still have no faith?"
Ouch. Essentially I hear Him ask me, "Do you still not trust who I am or know what I am capable of doing?"

He doesn't sound angry, just hurt that I don't trust Him. Sometimes, I have to stop and look in the back of my boat. He is still there and He is still sovereign. I can rest in that knowledge though the storm is at fury stage.
I wonder if perhaps Christ's question was more like "Why didn't you call on me sooner?" Perhaps the disciples didn't think they needed him for the mundane, normal part of life. Perhaps we don't think so either, but then the storm comes up where we weren't expecting it.

I think it comes up for a reason, to show us that we are not capable of doing life on our own. We really do need a Savior - -  not just for the BIG issues of our lvfes - - but for the everyday, every-moment parts of our lives.
He is the light that comes into us and lights the world.
 
GOING DEEPER:
1.  Have you watched for His answer when you asked, "Don't you care?"
2.  What story from your life can you share with someone about His "showing up" in your darkness?
 
FURTHER READING:

Peggy is a wife and mother of four adult children - - two sons and two stepsons, and is an active encourager at Oakwood Church in Delafield.