Wednesday, January 6, 2016

You Hear My Voice
By Stephanie LaCasse

“My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me.”
John 10:27 (NIV)

“You know my voice! You know when I'm calling you!”

Exhausted from a day of zoo exploration, I firmly held the arm of my child and scolded him when he ran from me. The words echoed in my head as though the Lord were speaking directly to me.

I'd like to say that I always respond with “Okay, Lord, I'm here. What is it you're trying to speak to me.” But I think sometimes I run in the other direction, fingers in my ears yelling, “I can't hear you. La-la-la-la-la!”

The thing is: As believers in Christ, we cannot escape His words. In Psalm 139, the Bible tells us that we can’t ever escape Him: “Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there.” Isn't that reassuring that even though we may want to run, He is there? Still pursuing us.

But it gets better.

The Bible assures us that this is a two-way street. “In the morning, Lord, you hear my voice; in the morning I lay my requests before you and wait expectantly” (Psalm 5:3, NIV). The Lord hears us. He is there listening expectantly for His children to call to Him. To praise Him. To come to Him.

That day was over six months ago and I still remember those ten seconds of the day as if it were yesterday. The choice is mine (and yours). Do we run away with fingers in our ears, or respond out of obedience, “Lord, I'm here. What do you ask of your child?”

Going Deeper:
1.      What has the Lord been speaking to you? How will you respond today?
2.      In what way can you pray for someone who may be running away from God's voice?

Further Reading:


Stephanie is a mom of three young sons and wife to Dave, who is currently in seminary preparing for chaplaincy in the US Army. In her spare time, she’s employed at a law firm.