Wednesday, January 27, 2016

The Terrible Typo
By Lexi Ellis

“For I am about to do something new. See, I have already begun! Do you not see it? I will make a pathway through the wilderness...”


I love being a part of the Fresh Start ministry. Part of my “job” is to format and edit devotionals. It’s a joy getting a “sneak peak” at how God works in our writers’ lives and then uses them to share it with others. But sometimes, I miss a typo or mess up the format. Often, it’s caught by another team member before the devo goes out, but sometimes it’s not.

Recently, I missed a letter. There was a word without a vowel and this teacher-by-profession didn’t see it. Man, I felt like kicking myself. I read the sent-out devo - - now too late to change it - - and just felt defeated. While a small mistake, it felt huge at the time. Critical thoughts flooded in: Are you serious? You’re clearly not qualified for this. How did you miss a mistake in the title…it’s bolded?!

Realizing this was heading in a dangerous direction, I imagined laying my mistake down at the Lord’s feet. God, help our readers be encouraged despite this typo. Help them sense Your Presence and continue to strive towards an active, ongoing and vibrant relationship with You. Help me depend on Your strength rather than my own ability and keep things in perspective.

Aren’t you thankful God has chosen to use imperfect people to do His perfect will? Scripture is filled with people who really messed up or had awful circumstances, but God used them when they chose to be obedient…in the midst of their mess. I think of Abraham and Sarah, Miriam, Gideon, David…all imperfect people whom God used in spite of their mess. We - - as believers - -  also get to be involved in His plan! While I am very aware of the mistakes I make, I realize God can use me when I trust and surrender to Him.

And despite our un-perfect-ness, God has gifted and wired us uniquely for our role in this plan. There are countless examples of this in Scripture, like when God put Aaron’s gift of communication or Deborah’s gift of leadership to good use. In the New Testament, Paul writes about the importance and diversity of spiritual gifts and how vital these gifts are to the Church (1 Corinthians 12). The strengths we possess are by no accident.

While I’d like all words to have vowels, I’m thankful for the reminder that God uses us - - despite the terrible typos and imperfections - - and that each of us is uniquely gifted.

GOING DEEPER:
1. What imperfections do you need to lay at the Lord’s feet?
2. How has God uniquely designed you for His Kingdom?

FURTHER READING:


Lexi and her husband, Andrew, have an adorable puppy named Calvin. She teaches sixth grade at Silver Lake Intermediate School. Lexi serves with Children’s Ministries and is the Fresh Start Coordinator.