Thursday, January 28, 2016

The Fitting
Becci Terrill

“Let us examine our ways and test them, and let us return to the Lord.”
Lamentations 3:40 (NIV)

I recently did something I’ve never done before. Now, I’m finding my “garments” just weren’t fitting right, so when I walked by a well-known store and saw a “SALE” sign, I decided to try some on. As I entered the fitting room, an attendant asked if I would like to have a fitting. I hesitated, as pride almost got the better of me, and then decided to take her up on her offer. The next ten minutes were so informative! Not only did she help me find the right size (I’m embarrassed to say how much I was off!), she also helped me find the right style for my body! What a difference the right choice can make! 

Maybe you’ve had a similar experience, and can laugh with me. As I thought about this example, however, I couldn’t help but wonder what other areas of my life needed a “fitting.” Had life and schedules changed so that Bible study, prayer and personal time with the Lord didn’t “fit” as well as they had at other times?  Were areas of service for the Lord “fitting” for my current season of life? I still needed all of these pieces in my life, but perhaps I needed an updated “fitting” to continue growing spiritually.

Just because I’ve always had devotions in the morning, doesn’t mean that’s the only time, or the best time, for this period of my life. What time of day would allow the most undisturbed fellowship with the Lord? Are there new areas where the Lord may want me to serve as He stretches me and I grow spiritually?

The young store attendant suggested that I come in for a fitting every six months, as everyone’s body changes. It sounds like a good idea for my spiritual life, too. Not to see IF spiritual activities fit, but what “fit” will allow a deeper, more personal relationship with Jesus and glorify Him with my life.  

Who knew such a visit could prompt valuable spiritual reflection?!

GOING DEEPER:
1.  What area of your life isn’t “fitting” anymore? What adjustments need to be made for a proper “fit” and deeper relationship with the Lord?
2.  Consider what training and/or a spiritual mentor might play in your life, helping you discover how your unique design “fits” in service to the Lord. 

FURTHER READING:


Becci Terrill is a wife and mom to two adult daughters. She is the Children's Ministry Director at Oakwood Church.