Friday, January 1, 2016

Strength in Weakness
By Lexi Cole Ellis

 That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

2015 is the year I learned about weakness…definitely not what I had planned! But there were a couple situations this past year where it felt like there was a no-win; I was keenly aware of my inability to fix them. There was time learning about my weakness in terms of mental health…researching and exploring options for pursuing wellness. Then there was Priscilla Shirer’s study on the Old Testament Gideon that I did for my quiet time each day with God. [1] The tag line? “Your Weakness…God’s Strength.” Oh, and then a sermon series at church about sacrifice, and one of the points was how God’s strength is revealed when we are weak. [2] Yup…learning about weakness was certainly a reoccurring theme for 2015.

Isn’t it funny how we instinctively hate weakness? The lengths we go to cover our tracks, put on a façade, do whatever we can to avoid seeming weak to others…or to ourselves? And yet, “God’s power is best revealed in my weakness.” [2] I confess I’d rather have the opposite. Couldn’t others marvel at my strength and then I get to give God the credit? Maybe God knows my heart too well and knows how easy it is for my pride to take credit when I feel powerful.

Yes, God’s power is most displayed when I’m weak. Scripture is filled with God using people’s weaknesses…and displaying His strength…when they allow Him to work through them. Moses was called to lead the people…when he didn’t feel gifted in speaking. Because of Moses’ weakness, God’s strength was revealed in and through Moses. Gideon was told he had too many men for his army…that there needed to be a small, “weak-in-comparison” force so their victory would clearly reveal God’s power. The apostle Paul begs God to remove a trial or flaw, yet shares in the verse above that his weakness allows God’s strength to shine through.

2015 is coming to a close. I’m not sure what lessons 2016 will bring. But as we enter a time of resolutions, recommitments and new goals, let us fight against hating and covering our weaknesses, and be willing to allow God to use them to bring His Name glory and honor.

GOING DEEPER:
1.      How do you feel about your weaknesses? What do you need to do to change your opinion?
2.      Start praying for God to use your weakness to display His power. Make the words of Jason Grey’s song “Glow in the Dark” your prayer today. (Click HERE to listen to it.)

FURTHER READING:

Lexi and her husband, Andrew, have an adorable dog named Calvin. Lexi teaches sixth grade at Silver Lake Intermediate School. She serves with Children’s Ministries and is the Fresh Start Coordinator.

[2] Enlisted: The Courage to Serve. http://www.oakwoodnow.org/resources/messages.html