Friday, January 8, 2016

Not Enough?
by Becci Terrill

"But my God will meet all your needs 
according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus."
 
 
I wonder how you would respond if you were asked to complete this phrase: not enough ________. What is there not enough of in your life right now?
 
Not enough time, money, food, love, joy, faith, room, patience, information, knowledge, wisdom, workers, attention, rest, sleep, exercise, energy, opportunities...
 
Have you been in a place where you've done (or are doing) all that you possibly can, but it is still not enough? Some well-meaning friend (and I do mean friend) comes up and shares how your situation could/should be different if only you would do more ______.
 
I've been there. The advice given may or may not be correct, but you walk away with the overwhelming knowledge that you are not enough.
 
Can you change? Can you be more? Can you be enough? Maybe. More often than not, however, you are doing the absolute best that you can as the individual God designed you to be. What then? Should you give up and live in depression as a failure?
 
We are not alone. In Scripture, Moses felt that way (Exodus 17). Elijah did, too (1 Kings 19). Perhaps you remember the story of Elisha, the widow and her little pot of oil (2 Kings 4:1-7)? How many more examples can you find in Scripture? Each individual was a regular person, just like you and I, who reached a point in their life where they felt they were "not enough."
 
God reminds us in Romans 8:28, "We know that in all things God works for the
good of those who love him
" ...which even includes reminders that we are not enough. BUT, as it says in Philippians 4, "I can do all things through Him who gives me strength," and, "My God will meet all your needs according to the riches of His glory."
 
I am not enough, but HE IS ENOUGH. Being in the place of "not enough" forces me to look to the One who is  enough, and trust His plan and His provision - - whatever that might be.
 
A song that has taken on special meaning to me in this season of "not enough" is titled "Beyond Me" by tobyMac. It says:
 
You take me to the place where I know I need You
Straight to the depths that I can't handle on my own
And Lord I know, I know I need You
So take me to Your great ...
Take me to Your great unknown
 
May Jesus BE ENOUGH for you today!
 
GOING DEEPER:
  1. Listen to the song "Beyond Me" by tobyMac. Click HERE  to listen to it.
  2. Read the book, A Little Pot of Oil  by Jill Briscoe.
 
FURTHER READING:
 
Becci Terrill is a wife and mom to two adult daughters. She is the Children's Ministry Director at Oakwood Church.