Friday, January 22, 2016

Unbridled Passion
By Susan Klein

“Do not put out the Spirit’s fire”

I just finished reading, Kisses From Katie [1]. If you’re not familiar, it’s a book about an astounding young woman who walks away from her affluent American life to submit to God’s calling: ministering to the destitute in Uganda. Why would a senior class president and homecoming queen, with a steady boyfriend, college plans secured, and her whole future ahead of her, give it all up to live in poverty and be a mother and mentor to hundreds of orphans on a different continent? Unbridled passion!
                                                                                                                      
God first ignited the spark in Katie’s life as a high school senior while on a short-term mission trip. As she loved on those dear orphans, many who were starving and suffering from failing health and horrific living conditions, God continued to kindle the small flame within her heart. On her second visit, the initial spark fanned into a flame, which quickly ignited into an all-consuming fire.

It burned so deep within her soul that she could literally think of nothing other than caring for and sharing the love of Jesus with these dear little ones. Returning to her home in the states once again (she had promised her parents she’d come back after one year to attend college), Katie’s passionate fire for those children could not be contained as she longed to be with them. She knew her passion was from God, and that it must be allowed to burn brightly for His ultimate purpose.

Katie writes, “I realize that since I have chosen an unusual path it is easier for outsiders to look at my life and come to the conclusion that it is something extraordinary. That I am courageous. That I am strong. That I am special. But I am just a plain girl from Tennessee. Broken in many ways, sinful, and inadequate. Common and simple with nothing special about me. Nothing special except I chose to say ‘yes.’ ‘Yes’ to the things God asks of me and ‘yes’ to the people He places in front of me. You can too.”

Katie returned to Uganda fueled by the intense passion to serve, and to love and to mother amidst seemingly impossible circumstances. She writes, “Every morning, as I wake up with some impossible task in front of me, I know that God will meet it with impossible strength and love.” He who calls, not only equips, but also gives us the passion to serve with our whole hearts.



GOING DEEPER:
1) What flames of passion might God be kindling in your heart?

FURTHER READING:

Susan is married to Mark, and has two adult children. She enjoys teaching Bible studies, writing, and tutoring with the Literacy Council. She is a member of the Peace Team at Oakwood and also co-leads a Wednesday Night Community small group.

[1] Kisses From Katie, Howard Books/Simon and Schuster, Inc., 2011, by Katie Davis

(https://amazima.org/about-us)