Friday, August 5, 2016

Agree to Disagree
By Susan Klein

“One man considers one day more sacred than another; another man considers every day alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind.”

Have you ever had a major disagreement with someone?  One in which you felt very strongly that your position was right, yet so did the other person? Perhaps your position was even backed by Scripture, but the other person’s was not. When do we exercise grace, and when do we take a purposeful stand for the truth?

I had one of these encounters. It was with someone who was raised with the same biblical beliefs as mine. However, as we advanced in our life-journeys, the other person’s path took her in a completely different direction. I felt the great deceiver, Satan, had her believing a lie as she made a life-choice that I believed was contradictory to God’s Word. My heart ached for her to be so blind-sided by this wrong belief that our culture touted as right. She felt equally bad for me, feeling that I was clinging to archaic beliefs, not being culturally relevant and accepting of her choice. What transpired was not at all biblical: We argued.

Scripture is clear that the Lord’s servants are to not take part in foolish quarrels or arguments. Instead we are to gently instruct those who oppose God’s Word, so that the Holy Spirit can convict them and lead them to a knowledge of the truth. [1]  When I argued with my friend, we were each trying to impose our own beliefs on the other, which was foolish and futile. Neither of us was about to change our battle position. I am not her Holy Spirit and cannot convict her of something she is not choosing to believe, especially when I am argumentative instead of “gentle.”

So what might have been, or still could be, a better solution when faced with similar circumstances? Perhaps, when at an impasse, we need to agree to disagree. That doesn’t mean I change my mind or my convictions.  But it does mean that I won’t expect her to change her choice based on my beliefs, and she won’t expect me to change my beliefs based on her choice. We respectfully disagree, allowing the Holy Spirit to work it out as He sees fit, in God’s perfect timing.

I have learned that our battle is not with each other, but with the enemy - - the deceiver - - Satan. (Eph.  6:12)  And one of our greatest weapons in that battle against him is prayer, out-loud prayer that the enemy can hear.

GOING DEEPER:
1. How might you avoid quarreling with someone who believes a lie?
2. Are you wielding your spiritual battle weapons?

FURTHER READING:

Susan is married to Mark, and has two adult children. She enjoys teaching Bible studies, writing, and tutoring with the Literacy Council. She is a member of the Peace Team at Oakwood and also co-leads a small group with her husband.