Thursday, August 11, 2016

Lost!
By Susan Klein

“But small is the gate and narrow is the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.”

Have you ever been lost? I mean, deeply, scarily lost? Long before GPS, MapQuest, and cell phones, I got lost on the way to a friend’s house one evening. I thought I knew the way, but was very sadly mistaken. As the sky grew dark, I found myself in a not-so-nice part of town with cars up on blocks, ramshackle buildings, and glaring people you wouldn’t feel safe asking for directions. About to press the gas pedal and hasten my exit, the light at the oncoming intersection turned red. I had to stop, amidst many loitering onlookers. I didn’t know the Lord at the time, but I spoke the words, “Please, get me out of here!”

Just then, a voice boomed, “Exit your vehicle and put your hands up!” What?!! In my rearview mirror I saw the flashing light. It was me they were petitioning! The police didn’t even get out of their cars in this part of town unless absolutely necessary. After summoning (all 98 pounds of) me to their car, the officer said I’d receive a citation for stopping in front of the entrance to a fire station. I looked up and noticed it for the first time. Scared and tearful, I told them I was lost. I think they took pity on me and let me go with just a warning to stay out of neighborhoods like this.

About to walk back to my car, glimpsing the crowd that had gathered, I turned back and said, “I really am lost! Could you please tell me which way to go to get out of here?” They gave me directions and followed me for a short distance until I was securely on my way.

As a Christ-follower now, I look back on that situation and am struck by not only how God provided a safe way out for me when I was physically lost, but by how much that officer was a picture of God (who would eventually lead me to salvation). The officer rebuked me for my wrong, but he also showed me mercy by not making me pay for my offense. He cautioned me not to make the same mistake, then protectively guided me to the right path home.

How very loving and patient our God is, desiring for all those who are lost to be safely found.

GOING DEEPER:
1. Do you know someone who might be going down a wrong path? What can you do to help guide them back to safety, to the Father?


FURTHER READING:

Susan is married to Mark, and has two adult children. She enjoys teaching Bible studies, writing, and tutoring with the Literacy Council. She is a member of the Peace Team at Oakwood and also co-leads a Wednesday Night Community small group