Monday, August 29, 2016

Peace
By Lexi Cole Ellis

Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful.

“I did what everyone expected me to do. I planted a megachurch. I wrote a bestseller. I started a college, planted other churches, and spoke at conferences. But there was a big problem: I lacked peace. Based on what I read in the Word, there were too many inconsistencies. My lifestyle did not resemble the life of Jesus, and the church I read about in Acts seemed so foreign.” [1]

Wow, I resonate with that. Okay…not any of the actual things Francis Chan did. I actually haven’t done any of those things! But I resonate with the idea of doing “what you’re expected to do,” yet still lacking peace.

So the next thought that I have is, Wow, I feel that way sometimes, too. Followed by, Wow! He didn’t feel peace after doing all those things? I’d be impressed with myself if I could just do one.

Bottom line, it’s probably safe to say that peace doesn’t necessarily come from any degree of success or accomplishment. So what IS peace? A Google search will give externally-focused definitions like “freedom from disturbance” or “freedom from violence”; however, Scripture talks about a different kind of peace that comes from God. This, too, resonates with me. [2]

Feeling at peace isn’t tied to what we do. It’s remembering who we are when we accept what Christ has done for us. In the verse above, there’s the phrase “peace of Christ” and then we are called to peace, which surely means that being at peace is achievable.

We see a similar phrase used in the book of Philippians. “And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”  Additionally, peace is listed as a fruit of the Spirit, so it must be something that we can receive, feel or have. God’s Word also says that He blesses us with peace, along with giving us strength (Philippians 4:7; Galatians 5:22; Psalm 29:11).

Scripture shows us that peace is something that we can have, but it’s not tied to what we do. It’s tied to my gratitude toward and my relationship with God. Peace is a result of loving God, from recognizing who He is in my life, and pursuing a relationship with Him. Attainable peace comes when I turn my focus to Him…it’s really not about me.

GOING DEEPER:
1.      Spend some time reflecting. What needs to change to better pursue, or receive, God’s peace?

FURTHER READING:

Lexi and her husband, Andrew, have an adorable dog named Calvin. She teaches sixth grade Reading and Writing. Lexi serves with Children’s Ministries and is the Fresh Start Coordinator.

[1] Introduction by Francis Chan in David Platt’s book Follow Me, p. ix