Tuesday, August 2, 2016

True Confession
By Lisa Boyer

“We have spoken freely with you…and opened our hearts wide to you.”

Two years ago, I had a moment where I realized I had been struggling as a writer. The last piece I had finished was started a long time ago, but other than that, I’d had nothing the previous five months. I saw things I wanted to share, but I wasn’t able to sit down and write about them - - as though it all disappeared before I had the chance. As a devotional writer, I didn’t know if it was writer’s block or God not having anything to say through me at that time, or the enemy purposely getting in the way of my writing.

As I look back on that time, I think the real issue was I had been afraid, which is ironic, because the topic I had wanted to write about before the writer’s block set in was “fear not.” “Fear not” is found over and over again in the Bible, both in the Old and New Testaments. Yet, I was afraid. I was afraid to share what was on my heart - - what God’s had been teaching and showing me. It’s not that a reader has ever given me a reason to be afraid; I just had been afraid.

As I look back, it wasn’t that I found a way out of all fear or around it. Instead, I had to choose to write in the middle of it. I had to choose to set the fear aside as best as I could and trust God to do the rest. I’m not sure how God plans to use my past confession in the lives of you, the readers, today…but He knows. Or maybe getting back to writing then was a necessary “getting back on the horse” to get over my fear (which may also remind you that those in ministry need your prayers). 

But perhaps it’s not just me and what I learned. Perhaps I’m not the only one who has been afraid to do what God has put on their heart to do. Perhaps you understand what I went through because you are suffering or have suffered from your own kind of “writer’s block.” Perhaps you too are or were afraid. Even today, I don’t have a lot of answers, but one thing I know: We, the children of God, are to “fear not.” Sometimes, fear is just an opportunity to step out in faith!  

GOING DEEPER:
1. Are you struggling with your own “writer’s block” that prevents you from using the gifts God has given you to bring glory to Him? After spending time in prayer, will you step out in faith and “fear not”?
2. As you read this, did God bring to your mind someone who is struggling? Will you take the time to pray for them?

FURTHER READING:


Lisa has been married to Ted for 24 years and they have two sons in college. Lisa serves in Quest 56 on Sunday mornings at Oakwood.