Monday, August 22, 2016

God’s Critic
by Becci J. Terrill

Then the Lord said to Job, “Do you still want to argue with the Almighty?
You are God’s critic, but do you have the answers?”
Job 40:1-2 (NLT)

“I don’t like...”

The words were simple, clear and honest. And boy, did they hurt!  Something that I had loved for so long. Something that I had been excited to share with someone else  - - had been totally rejected. I could feel my heart sinking inside.

As I choked back my feelings about this person and their response, the Spirit gently reminded me that I have had a similar response to God. Me? No! As I thought more, I realized the truth. Me? Yes. God has nothing but my best in His plans, and so many times all I can say is, “I don’t like...”

Think about it.

1Thessalonians 5:18 says, “Give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.”

How many times have you looked in a mirror and not liked what you saw? How many times have you wished for a different_____? If you’re like me, you’ve stopped counting. Every time we do this, we are telling God, “I don’t like… the way you made me.”  Or how many times have you wanted a different circumstance than the one God has you currently living in? Every time we do this, we are saying, “I don’t like…” to God. 

Each time we do this, we become God’s critic.

We are not alone. In the Old Testament, Job too, questioned God. God’s response to Job is also for us:

“Who is this that questions my wisdom with such ignorant words? Brace yourself like a man, because I have some questions for you, and you must answer them. Where were you when I laid the foundations of the earth? Tell me, if you know so much.”
Job 38:2-4 (NLT)

Ouch! God continues to question Job, and Job realizes that none of us have the right to be God’s critic. I love his reply to God:

“I am nothing - - how could I ever find the answers? I will cover my mouth with my hand. I have said too much already. I have nothing more to say.”
Job 40:3-5 (NLT)

I can just picture Job putting his hand over his mouth before God! Just as I had to “cover my mouth” and respond lovingly to the rejection of my friend who “didn't like…” So too, I need to cover my mouth every time I want to respond that way and be God’s critic.

GOING DEEPER:
  1. What have you been telling God that you “don’t like” about your life?
  2. How might your attitude change if you started thanking God for this - - trusting that you are His masterpiece and He has a plan and purpose for your life?

FURTHER READING:


Becci Terrill is a wife and mom to two adult daughters. She is the Children’s Ministry Director at Oakwood Church.