Friday, August 19, 2016

It is Well
By Lexi Ellis

“I will extol the Lord at all times; His praise will always be on my lips. I will glory in the Lord; let the afflicted hear and rejoice.”

In the late 1800’s, Horatio Spafford had it all: a thriving legal practice, wealthy real estate investments, a loving wife and five children. And then it hit. In 1871, the Spaffords’ son died and the Great Chicago Fire destroyed Horatio’s investments. Horatio decided the family needed a vacation. When unexpected business came up, he sent his wife and four daughters on the ship with plans to meet them shortly. The boat collided and his four daughters drowned. Within two years, Horatio and Anna Spafford buried all five of their children. [1]

It was in the midst of this unspeakable disaster that Horatio wrote the well-known hymn, “It is Well with My Soul.” There are two things that have been impactful for me. The first is the phrase: “It is well with my soul.” I love that Spafford doesn’t sugarcoat it. He was in the midst of immense mourning. He didn’t fake it and say it is “golly, ol’ grand with my soul.” But he doesn’t allow bitterness to overcome him. It hurts, it’s sad, it’s painful…but it is well. Why? The hymn explains because of what Christ has done for us. It is well because Christ has taken all of our sin, reconciled us with God and is coming back soon.

The other thing that so impacts me in the hymn is that our God is in relationship with us, regardless of our present circumstance. He is our God in times of happiness and in times of sadness. Another worship song I love echoes that truth:

All of my life, in every season,
You are still God.
I have a reason to sing,
I have a reason to worship.

I will bring praise. I will bring praise.
No weapon formed against me shall remain.
I will rejoice. I will declare. God is my victory and He is here.[2]

God meets us where we are - - in the midst of joyous celebrations and unspeakable pain. Incredible. I want my life song to be similar to Horatio Spafford’s beautiful hymn and be able to say to my Lord every morning, “It is well.”

When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
          When sorrows like sea billow roll;
Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say,
          It is well, it is well with my soul. [3]

GOING DEEPER:
1. Identify what kind of “season” you are currently in.
2. What do you need to do so you can honestly say “It is well with my soul” each morning?

FURTHER READING:

Lexi and her husband, Andrew, have an adorable dog named Calvin. Lexi teaches sixth grade Reading and Writing. She serves with Children’s Ministries and is the Fresh Start Coordinator.

[2] Hillsong, “The Desert Song”

[3] For all the verses of the hymn sung by Chris Rice:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HLyhEdh92E&feature=related