Thursday, August 18, 2016

Worthy of Suffering
By Susan Klein

“Then the Lord said to Satan, ‘Have you considered my servant Job?’”
Job 1:8a (NIV)

How do you feel about suffering? Are you a willing participant? Are you even worthy to suffer? (What…”worthy?”) In my most recent reading of the Old Testament Book of Job, I became convicted that I want to be like Job because he was “worthy” of suffering. Let me show you three ways in which he was worthy, and you decide for yourself.

First, God sees that Satan has been prowling the earth (no doubt looking for someone to devour), and God says, “Have you considered my servant Job? There is no one like him on the earth; he is blameless and upright, a man who fears God and shuns evil.” (1) God knew Job’s heart, and that he could withstand any amount of suffering while keeping a proper perspective on life and God. He went so far (in His sovereignty) as to suggest Job as Satan’s next victim.

Second, after four messengers come to deliver the anguishing news to Job that everything he’d possessed is now gone, including his children, Job tears his robe, shaves his head, and falls to the ground in worship. (2) I don’t know about you, but that probably would not be my first response. Mourning, yes, worshiping, no. I’d likely be too consumed with grief to even think of worship. Job recognizes that he came into the world with nothing, and he will leave with nothing. He knows that God is the giver of all things, and He can also take them away if He so chooses. Job does not doubt God’s sovereignty. He worships Him, not for what He does, but for who He is.

Third, as if all of that is not enough to deal with, God, yet another time, gives permission to Satan to strike Job, this time in his physical body, proclaiming, “He still maintains his integrity, though you incited me against him to ruin him for no reason.” (3) Wow! God knows Job’s integrity is intact, and can withstand yet another blow of suffering! Job had to have amazing faith in God, as well as being secure in God’s love for him.

Like Job, I want my faith to be so intact that I not only suffer well through the little things, but that God would consider me worthy of any catastrophe, knowing I would glorify Him with a right response.

What about you? Are you worthy of suffering? Can you hear God saying, “Have you considered my servant ________?”

GOING DEEPER:
1. Meditate on Job’s story and seek the Holy Spirit’s assistance with any perspective changes you might need to make.

FURTHER READING:


Susan is married to Mark, and has two adult children. She enjoys teaching Bible studies, writing, and tutoring with the Literacy Council. She is a member of the Peace Team at Oakwood and also co-leads a small group.