Monday, November 21, 2016

 Let Go & Trust God
By Karen D’Amore

“Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding.
 In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths.”

A friend was struggling with a major decision that she’d made in quitting her job. And then her supervisor’s unexpected response drew her to second-guess that decision even more. Becoming a basket case of conflicting emotions, she reached out to me for counsel. After frequent phone calls and much prayer, we met for dinner to talk further.

As I shared encouraging tales of God’s faithfulness, my strongest counsel was for her to truly let go and trust God! I shared further with her that I was currently walking through my own circumstances of “letting go.”  I had recently become licensed as a cosmetology instructor with the hope of teaching part-time. Logic would have me submit my resume to the technical college where I’d completed my student teaching hours. While this was the only program I was interested in teaching in, I didn’t feel God calling me to apply.  My choice to let go…pray…wait…and trust God…stemmed from previous personal faith-building scenarios. Ones where I had definitely experienced the power of God’s glory in the letting go process!

As we concluded our dinner, I exhorted my friend to resist making any further emotional or logic-based decisions in her situation and instead “let go” and trust God with the outcome. Thirty minutes after we parted, I received a call from the technical college where I’d completed my student-teaching hours. Being familiar with me from my student-teaching sessions, they wanted to offer me a part-time instructor’s position within the cosmetology department. Once again, I experienced the faith-building results in the process of letting go and trusting God. Wow! To God be the glory! And, of course, I immediately called my friend to share the exciting and encouraging news!

Scripture repeatedly exhorts us to “trust God.” Merriam-Webster defines the word “trust” as one in which confidence is placed.[1] When we choose  to let go of self-will, personal confidence, worldly logic, and selfish desires…and live in God-surrendered trust…we will experience God’s power in the letting go process, and see Him glorified in the outcome. Our daily circumstances are perpetual platforms and opportunities for God to be glorified through our submission. John 3:30 says, “He must become greater; I must become less.”

Letting go and trusting God for the outcome requires us to decrease and be emptied of ourselves.  It is through this letting go process that He then increases and is glorified in all that HE does!
  
GOING DEEPER:

1. What do you need to…let go?

FURTHER READING:

Married to Dan, Karen, a retired police officer, currently works as a Manicurist at Craig Berns Salon and as an instructor in the Cosmetology Department at WCTC. Karen also serves on the Welcoming Team at Oakwood.


[1] www.merriam-webster.com